Thread: Canon S100 vs _______

Canon S100 vs _______

Hey everyone!

I'm thinking about getting the new Canon S100 when it comes out! I like the current model, the S95, but it's lacking 1080p video, and it's only 28mm wide (which in my opinion, isn't really "wide")

I'm hoping that we can stir up some convo about other contenders. I know the Lumix LX-5 and the Olympus XZ-1 are similar, and Nikon just released the P300. The P300 I think is the least competitive, mostly because it doesn't support RAW, and the JPEG noise-reduction on it isn't very good. That alone kills it for me!

Does anyone have anything to say about the S100 (positively or negatively?) and are there other cameras you have that suffice for the same use or do you have your eyes on one in particular?

I want something I can slip in my pocket and is FAST and yet I can get creative with!

- Jordan

http://www.freshphotoblog.com

Re: Canon S100 vs _______

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    Does anyone have anything to say about the S100 (positively or negatively?) and are there other cameras you have that suffice for the same use or do you have your eyes on one in particular?

I say get the S100. In fact, I've already got one pre-ordered, supposed to arrive the second week in October. I currently have an S95, and it's excellent. So, why am I replacing it? The CMOS sensor and faster frame rate are nice, as is the 24mm vs. 28mm. But the main reason is that my wife has been hinting how much she likes the S95 compared to her Olympus P&S.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    I want something I can slip in my pocket

IMO, unless you're wearing cargo pants, that requirement rules out both the Panasonic LX-5 and Olympus XZ-1 - both are ~50% thicker than the S95/S100. Only the Nikon P300 is as thin, and the smaller sensor and lack of RAW would eliminate it from my list.