Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on 40D vs T1i(500D).

Seeking advice on 40D vs T1i(500D).

I like my 40D, but after using a friends T1i, there are a few things I like about that camera as well. First off, the LCD. WOW! A world of difference. Secondly, I like the sturdiness of the 40D, but not when it's on my back with 3 lenses, a strobe kit, and a tripod and I'm hiking 9 miles up hill.

So I'm debating trading my 40D for a T1i. I know the 40D is faster for sports (which I don't shoot very often), and I know the T1i has higher MP's and the better screen. What else should I take into consideration?

How about noise levels in high ISO performance?

Another thing I'm factoring in is large printing, since I just came across an opportunity to make some money off large prints, the better quality the large prints are, the better.

One last thing, if I was to make this trade, which camera (body to body) is worth more used?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Seeking advice on 40D vs T1i(500D).

Quote Originally Posted by Cozen
    I like my 40D, but after using a friends T1i, there are a few things I like about that camera as well. First off, the LCD. WOW! A world of difference. Secondly, I like the sturdiness of the 40D, but not when it's on my back with 3 lenses, a strobe kit, and a tripod and I'm hiking 9 miles up hill.
    With all of that other gear the 9.2 oz difference in weight between those two bodies will probably be negligable.
    So I'm debating trading my 40D for a T1i. I know the 40D is faster for sports (which I don't shoot very often), and I know the T1i has higher MP's and the better screen. What else should I take into consideration?
    Isvideo important to you?
    How about noise levels in high ISO performance?
    I think the T1i has the edge but like Bryan said, "these improvements are primarily at ISO settings that are best avoided in the first place"
    Another thing I'm factoring in is large printing, since I just came across an opportunity to make some money off large prints, the better quality the large prints are, the better.
    Someone double my math but I believe the T1i has about 22% more resolution over your 40D. When you say "large prints" what size specifically? The 40D is very capable of producing over-sized prints. I don't own one and I've never printed above 11X14 but I'm sure someone here has.
    One last thing, if I was to make this trade, which camera (body to body) is worth more used?
    I'd have to imagine that the XXD body will always retain more value than a Rebel.

I'm sure the T1i is an amazing camera. Unless you really need video though I would much prefer an XXD body. If you had a 20D I might advize you otherwize ;-)

I just took delivery of a 50D, replacing my Rebel XTi. I cannot believe the difference. The reviews for the 50D said if you were upgrading from a 40D, then just wait. That would tell me that the 40D is also a very good camera. I can't imagine that the newest Rebel is anywhere near at good. Stick with the 40D and buy some better glass or just save for the next replacement.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson
    With all of that other gear the 9.2 oz difference in weight between those two bodies will probably be negligable.

You are probably right. But then again, a little less weight can't hurt.

Isvideo important to you?

At first thought, no video is not important to me, because I have a decent 3CCD prosumer camcorder. But then again this is HD, and I would be able to do some sunset time lapses with my wide angle lens. So it's not important to me, but it might be really nice to have when an opportunity comes along.

I think the T1i has the edge but like Bryan said, "these improvements are primarily at ISO settings that are best avoided in the first place"

This is true. I rarely ever shoot higher than ISO 800. I least I try not to.

Someone double my math but I believe the T1i has about 22% more resolution over your 40D. When you say "large prints" what size specifically? The 40D is very capable of producing over-sized prints. I don't own one and I've never printed above 11X14 but I'm sure someone here has.

I'd say at the very least I'd be printing at 16x20 but mainly larger than that. What are the next 2 sizes up? They will be large prints displayed in an office building, so they have to be fairly large and good quality.

I'd have to imagine that the XXD body will always retain more value than a Rebel.

I agree with you on this. Right now it seems that the 40D used is about the same price as a lightly used T1i with a kit lens. I just wanted to double check other people's thoughts on this one.

Thanks for your input.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my 40D and it has produced great
    images for me. a 50D would be ideal for me, but I can't afford it
    right now. I figured I could potentially trade my 40D for the t1i
    straight up. I just want to balance the pros of one over the other.
    Let me start a list of advantages. Maybe some of you can help me add
    to it or correct me if I'm wrong. Because I know I'm going to mess
    this up.

40D (pros)-

more solid build quality

more ISO settings (1/3rd increments)

better auto focus?

better for sports photography (more burst shots)

custom settings

built in PCI port

t1i (pros)

smaller/lighter (if you consider this)

HD video capability, although not perfect

Higher quality VGA LCD

More megapixels = larger print size

Am I missing anything?

T1i pro - Focus micro-adjustment.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston

T1i pro - Focus micro-adjustment.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Sorry can you explain what this is?

I say skip the T1i. Had it, liked it, sold it, bought a 7D. The camera is awesome! Save a little more just a little longer. If that's not an option, get some nice glass

Focus micro-adjustments are in the 50D, T1i, and presumably the 7D, and all future bodies. It allows you, per lens, to adjust what the camera considers in focus. If you get a lens that front or back focusesconsistently, you can tell the camera where the focus really is for that lens. If all your lenses are off, then it's likely your body might be slightly off. Again, you can dial in a focus correction, this time to apply to all lenses.

Using the menu is presumably cheaper than sending in a body or lens for an adjustment. Having never laid hands on a 50D or T1i, I can't tell you if you can choose different focus offsets for the wide and tele ends of a zoom (or even if that is a concern that ever pops up). I can't tell you if you can choose the offset for specific apertures. I just know the feature exists.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

How about a used 50D? Keh Camera has it for $890. Im sure you can strechthat much, and if you don't have SDHC cards for theT1ithere goes most of thepricedifference.

But for me, 7D ALL THE WAY!!!!