Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorites on Flicker

Favorites on Flicker

I love looking though your Favorites. Sometimes I see mine , thanks.
    Sometimes it sends me traveling around the world liiking at peoples favorites. I ran across this one I thought you may like.

Japanese Macaque - Canon EOS 1D Mark II N by Jesse Yardley, on Flickr

Hope you enjoy as much as I did.
    Mark

Flickr has some extremely talented photographers showcasing their work and I spend a great deal of time on there, probably more than I should viewing others photos and reading discussions. It is a great place to learn and I have made many friends there also. Sounds like I am describing everyone here!

Here's my group of my fav's if anyone wants to take a peek. There is one guy (wild dogger) that takes some amazing wildlife shots in Africa with only a 300mm. How he dares to get so close amazes me!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtrocio...page1/?view=ju

Right now Flickr has changed their homepage to include an auto-play video advertising their new app (as if we needed more evidence that Yahoo doesn't understand what people want on the web.) So, I switched my flickr bookmark from their homepage to 'explore' which shows awesome photos of the day. Every day I get to see pages and pages of awesome images I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I highly recommend using the 'explore' page as your bookmark.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    [...]
    So, I switched my flickr bookmark from their homepage to 'explore' which shows awesome photos of the day. Every day I get to see pages and pages of awesome images I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I highly recommend using the 'explore' page as your bookmark.
    There are funny ones, too:

Beagle vs. Canon - 103/365 by HorstBursik, on Flickr
    Arnt

Hope to be able to do this one day!!!

The Milky Way by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Right now Flickr has changed their homepage to include an auto-play video advertising their new app (as if we needed more evidence that Yahoo doesn't understand what people want on the web.) So, I switched my flickr bookmark from their homepage to 'explore' which shows awesome photos of the day. Every day I get to see pages and pages of awesome images I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I highly recommend using the 'explore' page as your bookmark.
    Have you tried "Fluidr" (http://www.fluidr.com/)? You can get the app from the App Garden at Flickr. It is a much better way to view explore; and you can view, comment, and fav your contacts latest pic's; or you can search, etc. If you want, you can click view on flickr, and it will send you to the picture in someones photostream in flickr. I have been using it lately and like it for exploring flickr.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Thanks conropl. I'll give this fluidr thing a few days and see whether I enjoy it, or if it drives me nuts.

I like that it defaults to a dark background. I don't like that when viewing an image in lightbox mode, to see it big, if I switch pictures using the arrow keys it leaves lightbox mode.

Great topic Mark, looking at favourites of other photographers is fun and can even be a little surprising. I enjoy the inspiration of viewing other peoples shots or as they may prefer, "art".
    Flickr is a diverse forum, I wouldn't be without it.

In a similar vein, how much time do people take commenting on Flickr. I know at times I feel obligated to comment and I don't. Some people really look for and "need" your comment. I find it hard to keep up at times. I have about 250 "contacts" and I certainly don't comment on every post, probably only try and comment on about 10 contacts.

It seems that people that get over a thousand views and hundreds of comments have to spend a lot of time commenting themselves. I just wonder if anyone from this site, works hard at developing their Flickr audience. How much time does is it take? Are there any work benefits or sales flowing from this?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Flickr has some extremely talented photographers showcasing their work and I spend a great deal of time on there, probably more than I should viewing others photos and reading discussions. It is a great place to learn and I have made many friends there also. Sounds like I am describing everyone here!

Here's my group of my fav's if anyone wants to take a peek. There is one guy (wild dogger) that takes some amazing wildlife shots in Africa with only a 300mm. How he dares to get so close amazes me!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtrocio...page1/?view=ju
    Made my day, week, month to see one of my shots on your favorites list.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Normally I just tag my photo with the lens, and sometimes a few other things, like "Aussie" on my Aussie shots. Rather than spending a lot of time managing comments to garner views, a few days ago I tried an experiment to find quick and simple methods of increasing my audience... joining groups for my gear. I've noticed some people have their photos in dozens of groups. I didn't go that far, just posting to the lens and/or camera group. As a bonus, I'm helping out anybody who's researching the lenses I'm using. I know I look at a lens' photo pool before buying. So, I posted a few shots from each lens and/or body to their respective groups. The views went up quite a bit, and I've gotten a few comments and a couple favorites. Not bad for a few seconds extra work on a couple pictures.