Thread: Soooo.... 50D strange pink horizontal banding problem... HELP

Soooo.... 50D strange pink horizontal banding problem... HELP

So I sent my 50D in for repair, got it back couple of weeks ago (sans my EF-S focusing screen [*-)]), used it maybe 3 or 4 times (for 2+ hours each time, moderate-heavy useage), then I go to use it today for an engagement shoot and this is what I get...

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.37/Ummm_2D00_001.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.37/Ummm_2D00_002.jpg[/img]

Luckily I was just taking a couple test shots to make sure the flash was firing (580II radiopopper'd on a painter's pole w/ a softbox attached, ST-E2 w/ a popper on top hotshoe'd) and the clients hadn't arrived yet, so only my assistant saw me having my mini freak out :P. Next shots seemed to be fine. The above two were 50D, ISO 200, Manual mode (I think), 1/60th, f.4, 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x extender.

Popped off a few shots just fine, then decided I wanted to wade into the water with them and took the extender off. I then got this:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.37/Ummm_2D00_003.jpg[/img]

1/60, f/4, ISO 320, 78 mm on the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. Next shot was fine, and all of the following ones were as well, using the above lens, a 24-70 and a 50mm f/1.4 (used with extension tubes as well). All shots on Lexar 8gb 300x CF cards.

Any ideas? Should I be worried? Should I send it back? Obviously I have a backup (actually two) but the 50D's my primary until I can get a 5dII (or 7D if it somehow ends up FF) and I've only had it around 8 months, and the sensor's already (apparently) going all acid-trip on me.

Full crops of each for the interested:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.37/wtf1.jpg[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.37/wtf2.jpg[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.37/wtf3.jpg[/img]

Ideas?

Re: Soooo.... 50D strange pink horizontal banding problem... HELP

Maybe just a writing to the CF problem, but I don't know. You'd better wait to see what the pro say.

I had a camera with the same problem. It was the sensor's electronics.To make sure, check live view on your computer, do you get the same image?

I'm doing tethered Live View right now and it seems to be fine. However, when I turned the camera off (before disconnecting the cable or turning off EOS Utility) I saw the same pattern for a split second before the connection severed. I've tried doing it a few more times to replicate that result but no 'luck,' just saw it that first time.

A little more detail - I had Highlight Tone Priority Active, Auto Lighting Optimizer set to Standard, and didn't use any pictures styles. I was shooting in either Ap or Manual (mostly manual) the entire time.

Iculpin

If live view is ok on the computer, then your LCD display circuitry or memory addressing circuit / card is defective or intermittent. When the unit is failing, can you switch between live view and see the problem on the display but not on the computer screen? If so then change the memory card and repeat. If the problem is still occurring then you will need to have Canon look at your camera.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by lculpin

Any ideas? Should I be worried? Should I send it back? Obviously I have a backup (actually two) but the 50D's my primary until I can get a 5dII (or 7D if it somehow ends up FF) and I've only had it around 8 months, and the sensor's already (apparently) going all acid-trip on me.

Send it to Canon for repair. Any other advice is just advice...not a repair.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Yeah but again? I haven't even had it a month back from last time... having a new camera doesn't help much if I don't have it for another whole month :| (then again it doesn't help if it doesn't work either :P)

Just got back from shooting some baseball (70-200, 1,4x again) and it seemed fine... I guess I'm asking if this could be something that happens once or twice or if it's something that for sure will need to be repaired down the road, or even if it's a problem that people have encountered frequently.

Yeah but again? I haven't even had it a month back from last time... having a new camera doesn't help much if I don't have it for another whole month :| (then again it doesn't help if it doesn't work either :P)

I have a 1D Mark III, and it suffered from the "Abnormal Mirror Operation" problem that was subject to a service bulletin. The problem was sporadic and tolerable, so I picked the best opportunity in my schedule to send it in. It came back on a Tuesday, and was essentially dead as a doornail on that Friday. It went in for another 2-3 weeks that night.

Just got back from shooting some baseball (70-200, 1,4x again) and it seemed fine... I guess I'm asking if this could be something that happens once or twice or if it's something that for sure will need to be repaired down the road, or even if it's a problem that people have encountered frequently.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

As frustrated as I can be with Canon's service intervals and priorities, I get the impression that they can and will fix the problems that are reported. If it doesn't happen often, it's probably your call, but I'd save the images and send them in with the camera when you're ready for it to be there for a few weeks.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I second the notion.

Even if it's a pain, send it in, and get it handled. Your time is worth too much to be dealing with something that works sometimes, and will fail when it's even more of a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

I second the notion.

Even if it's a pain, send it in, and get it handled. Your time is worth too much to be dealing with something that works sometimes, and will fail when it's even more of a pain.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Of the latter part I have no doubt :P