Thread: Canon 7D lenses, - for shooting video in low light - any thoughts???

Canon 7D lenses, - for shooting video in low light - any thoughts???

PLEASE HELP!!! IM A DSLR VIRGIN!!!

Any chance the Sigma 18 - 200 and 18 - 250 and 10 - 20 f3.5 may be reviewed..?

Im especially interested in a functionable lens for the 7D for use with video..

For a 1.6 crop camera, with video function, the following is important:

A large zoom, either one lens or two.. I was thinking either of the above Siggy's or the new Canon 15 - 85mm or 18 - 135mm

I need IS on my lenses with a longer than 24 focal length

Fast Apertures are important, especially at a standard length and long length. I was thinking the Sigma 35mm 1.4 prime? and the Canon 50mm 1.4.

Lastly A WIDE.... Sigma 10 - 20 f3.5..

Giving Me:

Sigma 10 - 20mm f3.5 (not reviewed)

Sigma 35mm f1.4

Canon 50mm f1.4

Canon 18 - 135mm f3.5 - 5.6 IS (not reviewed yet, but package deal with the 7d)

Nothing Fantastic, but bearing in mind I want to shoot video as much as photograph, so I thought cover my bases now, and go expensive when I get a full frame..

how does that sound for a starter kit arsenal..? One problem I have is three of those lenses are exclusively 1.6 crop.. so if i upgrade to the 5d3 one day, I will have problems. I would LOVE L lenses, theyre just way too pricey... Otherwise I would add the 24 - 70 f2.8 and the 70 - 200 f2.8

BTW this website is FANTASTIC and very helpful. You have taught me TONS!!

Re: Canon 7D lenses, - for shooting video in low light - any thoughts???

If you would love an L lens but cant afford, then why not go for a 500D instead of the 7D? Save yourself some pennies, get an L lens and still have the Video function with a 500D.

You said you do intend to go full frame one day, so why spend all that money on a 7D which is only a shameful 1.6 crop, when you could get a cheaper 1.6 body.

Too many people seem to dive into DSLR with an expensive body, when theres no rush to, hell I shot weddings with an OLD 350D, but had a 70-200mm f.28 L lens on it before I upgraded to the 50D.

You can always upgrade a body, but buy glass you intend to keep a long time (IMO).

My 2c anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by niknaknj

PLEASE HELP!!! IM A DSLR VIRGIN!!!

Im especially interested in a functionable lens for the 7D for use with video..

A large zoom, either one lens or two.. I was thinking either of the above Siggy's or the new Canon 15 - 85mm or 18 - 135mm

I need IS on my lenses with a longer than 24 focal length

Fast Apertures are important, especially at a standard length and long length. I was thinking the Sigma 35mm 1.4 prime? and the Canon 50mm 1.4.

Nothing Fantastic, but bearing in mind I want to shoot video as much as photograph, so I thought cover my bases now, and go expensive when I get a full frame..

My suggestion? Buy a camera with video, and buy a lens. Learn the combo inside and out, and use that knowledge to shape your future purchases.

Keep in mind that Vincent LaForet says the sweet spot for shooting video is f/2. Reverie was shot with the 50/1.2, the 85/1.2, the 200/1.8, and a tilt-shift. Maybe also the 24/1.4, I don't remember. NONE of those lenses have IS, none are zooms. Few if any Canon zoom lenses (and most likely none of the off-brand lenses) have a zoom ring that's smooth enough for video, and they aren't consistent in their zoom speed. It sounds to me like your lens choices are a polar opposite of what he says works well.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by niknaknj

For my video work with the 5D2 (e.g. weddings), zoom and I.S. are not as important as the focus features. Nailing accurate focus and following focus on a moving shot is hard, and having a good focus ring (long throw) and reduced breathing. I don't use I.S. when I'm doing on-camera sound because it's so loud. (My XH-A1 I.S. is very silent, but Canon still lenses are not.) Zoom lenses tend to have very bad breathing.

I agree with Maleko. The T1I is an awesome camera! By no means is it a slouch! It's all about the optics. Get great GLASS and upgrade your bodies. I just bought a 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM and that lens hasn't changed in 8 years! BUT, there have been many cameras over the past 8 years. Get a T1I body, and then get the lenses you want. Have fun!