Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash Diffusers ... which one to use???

Flash Diffusers ... which one to use???

any one out there use flash diffusers??? If so what kind do you use?? Basically i use on camera flash i.e. speedlites. I know off camera works well but I haven

Re: Flash Diffusers ... which one to use???

While we

I have a 580ex II, and im using gary fongs new collapsible lightsphere

www.garyfongestore.com/.../lightsphere-collapsible.html

For indoor us with low ceilings and bad lighting, it works wonders. I really dig his new one cuz it collapses, so if i need to use direct flash/bounce flash i don't have to take it off. He's got some in-depth videos showing the functionality of it. I do not believe that they need to be used in every situation, however just did an outdoor shoot with it for kicks and giggles, and it actually added just enough light to the front of my subject given the sun was directly behind him on most of the shots. flash was set to E-TTL, and was not quite as harsh as if i just did regular bouncing of the ground. I did use both during the shoot,(these photos are with the diffuser.) But that's what I like about the new one that gary makes is you can just push the thing in like an accordion when you don't want it. His older ones were bulky and were rather cumbersome. Here are some shots from the recent shoot. my 2 cents.

[img]/photography_gear1/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/3771._5F00_MG_5F00_0280.jpg[/img][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/1665._5F00_MG_5F00_0412.jpg[/img]

[img]/photography_gear1/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/0121._5F00_MG_5F00_0549.jpg[/img]

[img]/photography_gear1/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/0383._5F00_MG_5F00_0467.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/2376._5F00_MG_5F00_0577.jpg[/img]

@daniel ..."When I

The Gary Fong lightspheres are designed to be used indoors without the top off--meaning you get some direct flash on the subject and some bounce flash. It works decently under those conditions. However, without a ceiling or wall to bounce off of, the diffuser doesn't soften the light very much because it doesn't increase the size of the light source significantly.

If you really want pleasing results, get the flash off the camera and use something as simple as an umbrella. You'll be amazed at what you can do.

I use a Sto-Fen Omnibounce, almost always bounced off the ceiling. Similar to the Fong, most of the light is bounced but some comes direct.

Quote Originally Posted by jks_photo

<meta charset="utf-8" />

<meta charset="utf-8" />

Basically i want less harsh flash photos. And less if no shadow in the background.

So you are specifically asking for indoor shooting situations?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

If you really want pleasing results, get the flash off the camera and use something as simple as an umbrella. You'll be amazed at what you can do.

I second Sean on this one if you are doing a planned shoot in a relatively controlled environment. But I got the impression that you were looking for the versatility of taking portraits shots relatively freely about the room? Say a family Christmas gathering?? There's an off-camera setup that David Hobby blogged about for Christmas morning. It gives you the greatest versatility to light your subjects evenly, while lighting the room as well.

If you are not into strobism at this point, it maybe a steep learning curve before Christmas. But I think it'll be worth looking into. Once you get the setting right, you're free to move about as much as you want without having to worry about any settings. And it's relatively cheaper than you think []

It's a 2 off camera speedlight setup for a single room, each speedlight placed on opposite corners of the room and bounced onto the ceiling to create a diffused crosslight for whom ever is standing in the room.

Minimal equipment you'll need: Two dumb speedlights, Wireless Trigger, &amp; your camera (of course). No light stands or umbrellas. Maybe a hot shoe stand though. The flashes usually come with.

If you already have one speedlight, you can pick another decent dumb speedlight (oxymoron? [*-)]) for about $40. Like a YN460II.http://bit.ly/dR3ibs

The wireless trigger, I have the Cactus V4 Trigger/Receiver set, which if I remember correctly I got for $40ish as well.http://bit.ly/2OpHuH

So this setup is priced roughly $80-90. Here's the link for the full blog!!http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/12/christmas-game-plan-results.html

Some shots from David Hobby's blog (His real kids. Actual Christmas morning shots)

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/6740.2138427393_5F00_67de88e61a_5F00_z.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/7635.2138426883_5F00_cfc5c13afb_5F00_z.jpg[/img][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/8883.2139206318_5F00_6ffcd72dc1_5F00_z.jpg[/img]

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" />

thanks Sean for your input.... I have always admired your photos and how you use light....

@ Takahiro...

yes basically indoors photo shoot whereby I can also move around freely. I know it pays to take the timwe and setup the venue with the umbrellas and such but like I said I still haven

Quote Originally Posted by jks_photo

yes basically indoors photo shoot whereby I can also move around freely. I know it pays to take the timwe and setup the venue with the umbrellas and such but like I said I still haven't moved up to that ladder yet.

BUT.... with what you've posted I now see very minimal cost for the move up so I might well look into it very soon.....

You don't necessarily need umbrellas for decently soft light. You can bounce light off the ceiling. And if the ceiling is low enough , or the walls close enough, you can use bounce, bare flash to great effect.

I was recently in a situation where I needed to be mobile, yet the venue was very dimly lit (gymnasium). Fortunately, I was able to set up before the sweet 16 birthday party got underway. I set up 4 shoe-mount flashes (one in each corner) bare and pointed each a little toward the center of the ceiling (but not all the way). Then I used a White Lightning x1600 with the standard reflector pointed at the very center of the ceiling. Why so much power? The greater distance to the ceiling requires more power to get reasonably fast stills with optimal depth-of-field. The result?

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/750x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/7/1803.IMG_5F00_8278_5F00_small.jpg[/img]

17-55mm f/2.8 IS @ 24mm, f/4, 1/160 sec, ISO 200

And yes, I could have upped the ISO more, but I wanted relatively clean shots. Bare flash, bounced off of ceiling = large light source and relatively pleasing results.