Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop blending question on applying backgrounds & overlays

Photoshop blending question on applying backgrounds & overlays

I know there are various books and online tutorials for replacing backgrounds, using overlays & even combining two photos but I was wondering if anyone would like to share their favorite method. If you could either list the steps you use or provide a link to the method you find works best I would appreciate it.

I have been practicing various ways of doing this but a majority of the time, my photo looks like a very bad cut/paste job. I am trying to figure out how to make it look more realistic. Is there is a recommended technique to blend them so it looks natural or is the main key to perfection a vast amount of patience that I am highly lacking in?

Denise

While I don't have any answers that you prolly haven't already seen, if yours look cut&paste, it might be cuz of the difference in white balance between the two shots, the lack of shadow on the imported shot, or wrong direction of existing shadows.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

You use Topaz stuff, right? They had a Quick Tip Thursday on Jun 30th about merging and blending with their products. I've been trying to track down a link for Matt Kloskowski's compositing book where he has a video that shows you how he did the cover shot. I think I found the page, but couldn't confirm as my phone seems grumpy this afternoon. There are two more I'm trying to find for ya, but until things improve internet-wise, I'll have ta leave ya hangin'.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

It can be very tricky dpending on the foreground subject and it's edges....

Essentially you have to select the subject then place that selection on a new layer (Ctrl-J), then bring in a new background from another image(using the move tool) and then delete the layer with the old background.

In order to get the subject not to look too "cut out" you can work with the "Refine Edge" function to slightly feather the edges by 1 or 2 pixels.

I have used Topaz Remask which is a plugin to accomplish the same thing....makes it much easier to do the initial selection.

Thanks, guys! I will have a look at some point at the Topaz Remask. I had it as a trial on my computer at one time but didn't have a need to use it much then. I use the refine edge but never quite sure where to put my settings. I will work with that some more and look more closely at the Topaz Remask online.

In the meantime, I will also work at raising my patience level ...edges take forever! Maybe a mouse that works a little smoother for me would help also!

IMG_3739 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

IMG_2499_1 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

Thanks you!

Denise
    Last edited by ddt0725; 03-25-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Densie, if you're doing anything drawing-like perhaps consider a Wacom Bamboo instead of a new mouse. There is a reason all the artists have tablets, and the Bamboo is reasonably priced and works fairly well. It does take a bit of getting used to though. One trick to make the edges less painful... edit at the original RAW dimensions, then downsize. If there's a few bits that are off around the edges, they'll end up blended out into nothingness when you downsample.

Oh, and yes, nice background treatments.

Thanks, David! I just downloaded the background and overlay textures last night and played around with them at bit today. I never thought about the Wacom Bamboo and really don't know much about them. I will take a look though and see what they have to offer!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Densie, if you're doing anything drawing-like perhaps consider a Wacom Bamboo instead of a new mouse. There is a reason all the artists have tablets, and the Bamboo is reasonably priced and works fairly well. It does take a bit of getting used to though. One trick to make the edges less painful... edit at the original RAW dimensions, then downsize. If there's a few bits that are off around the edges, they'll end up blended out into nothingness when you downsample.

Oh, and yes, nice background treatments.
    +1 on the tablets. Takes getting use to but in the end, great investment I purchased the bamboo capture and its great. I believe the only difference in price is the software included.

i like the different backgrounds by the way.

I have been lusting over the new intuous5. Really though, all of the benefits are there with my bamboo. Still no upgrade for that reason alone. It's a great little tablet.

The bamboo capture looks like what I could really use! To bad it comes with two programs that I already have though!