Thread: Pricing for Digital Download

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pricing for Digital Download

Prompted by a previous post, I took a look at Zenfolio. Seems like a great service. Design your site, upload and sell. Of course selling is the hard part. Pricing seems to be a confusing point for me. Pricing t-shirts, prints and post cards is fairly easy, but pricing for digital download seems very risky. How much is a photo worth? To an individual, probably not much. But to a magazine, newspaper or other commercial service a photo could be worth a great deal. So how do you price a digital copy of your photo's without being taken advantage of??

Bob
    Bob

Re: Pricing for Digital Download

I have a Zenfolio and i have the same question and i currently dont have anything priced for downloads but i have in the past. The good thing about Zenfolio is that it allows you to price each photo individually. If you would like the best photos to be priced more than the others you can do that in the price lists.

If you expect to sell a lot of images for publication, use one of the "rights managed" sites that allows different prices based on the usage desired by the customer.

If you're just selling to individual customers (my business), set a price equivalent to one of your big prints or maybe a tad more.

If a customer buys $300-$400 worth of prints from me, I usually discount a digital proof package to $99. If somebodyjust wants digital images, I sellproof disks for$199. In combination with the setting fee,it keeps me profitable.

I've seen unlimited digital rights forpublication as high as $2,000 per image locally; it may be higher on the coasts.

Hey guys,

About how many pictures do you sell a month, digital or prints.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

About how many pictures do you sell a month, digital or prints.

In the 3 years I have shooting---ZERO (0), Natha, NON, Nothing----But I love this art anyway and keep spending money on it.
    Bob

Good Info, Thanks Dallas
    Bob