Thread: lens mount

lens mount

Just puchased the MP-E 65mm 1X-5X marco lens and have to say the images so far, even hand held, are incredible.

I was lucky enough to purchase a 5D Mark II early in Dec. and have the new lens mounted upon it.

All my other lenses are L series glass and are weathersealed. Although the MP-E 65mm is extremely well built, it is not an L series lens and not weathersealed.

My concern is the play in the mount after it has been seated. The lens faces up to the body mount and has noevidenceof play there but has slight, or should I say more rotational play than my other four lenses. The only other lens that comes close,or equal,to this type of play condition is my 100-400mm 4.5 zoom lens which is not weathersealed either.

Just wondering if this is symptomatic of non-weathersealed lenses. I know it's not the camera because the same situation occurs with my other two camera bodies. Also, the play is not what you might call excessive but it can be felt when using the focusing ring

So far Ihave notnoticed any abnormalities in the images, but with a lens of this type it would be hard to tell without camparing itto another copy.

Has anyone had any similar experience with his lens orany other?

Re: lens mount

hey fl.keys,

I have never used your lens, but lens play can be different depending on the lens.

For example: my EF17-40 fits tighter than my EF 70-200 f/4. I am not that concerned about a little play and honestly I kinda love it when my tools have different characteristics

If you are feeling the lens move when you are focusing though, that seems too loose to me. Get it checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by unjx

I have never used your lens, but lens play can be different depending on the lens.

For example: my EF17-40 fits tighter than my EF 70-200 f/4. I am not that concerned about a little play and honestly I kinda love it when my tools have different characteristics

My 70-200 4.0L had a lot of play. My 100-400 has a little all my other lenses are pretty firm.

The door for the compact flash card on both my cameras had a little play, like sliding a wee bit. I put little bits of blue masking tape on the inside to make the fit tighter. Still using the original tape! Awesome stuff.

My MP-E has the same rotational play. I wouldn't worry about it.

On another note, with the amount of air it moves when changing magnifications, I think some it needs some way to expell it, so a tight seal might have made it difficult. Just a guess anyway.

Congrats on the new lens, you will love it. Did you get a MT-24EX.

My 300L and my 1.4 T/C have a small amount of rotational play when seated. It doesn't effect IQ. None of my other lense have it. I wouldn't worry about it, but it can be a bit irritating.