Thread: Umbrella size

Umbrella size

hey all,

So I've been wanting to get into strobism for a while and finally started specking stuff...

For what I see me using it for (and the money available) wired system should be fine and I already have a 430EX so that bits decided. I figured I'd just start off with one stand and umbrella and go from there as I get more acclimated and money. The only thing I'm wondering about is umbrella size. I know Bryan suggests a 60" in the product reviews but I've also seen you guys mention 43" umbrellas so I'm just wondering what would be better for say from an entire person down to just head shot portraiture.

Thanks guys,

~Jordan
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Re: Umbrella size

I'd suggest getting the 43" White Westcott Collapsible umbrella. If you ever find that the light coming from it is limiting, then you can buy a more expensive 60" umbrella. The White 43" Westcott Collapsible umbrella is my first go-to light modifier in any outdoor shoot (although I do have to weigh the lightstands down with sandbags). Every once in a while I'll use a softbox to control the spill, but my 43" umbrellas never collect dust.

60" is nice if you are lighting full length shots. You can keep the light relatively close and lower power for a more pleasing even soft light.

You can light full length with the 43" but you will have to back it up and power up a little and the light won't be as soft.

The 60" is also great for head shots too. It just tends to be softer and pleasing. The 60" Eclipse is so large if you position right it will actually soften it's own shadows since umbrella light wraps around objects and thusly reduce the need for a fill. Add hair light and you have a very nice headshot.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedphrame

For what I see me using it for (and the money available) wired system should be fine and I already have a 430EX so that bits decided. I figured I'd just start off with one stand and umbrella and go from there as I get more acclimated and money. The only thing I'm wondering about is umbrella size. I know Bryan suggests a 60" in the product reviews but I've also seen you guys mention 43" umbrellas so I'm just wondering what would be better for say from an entire person down to just head shot portraiture.

In the Strobist lectures/posts, you'll find that the fundamental concept is the size of the light source relative to the subject. If you're doing full-body portraiture, bigger will be better. If you're doing headshots, putting the umbrella in close will increase the relative size. If put your bare flash over an ant, you probably won't need an umbrella at all.

My little trick is to have a few squares of Rosco 103 (Tough Frost) diffusion gel handy, and slap that on the flash every time I'm hoping for soft light. I'll still do the other modifiers that make sense, but I find better results with the 103 on there.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

thanks for the quick reply guys. I'm looking at a few umbrellas and it didn't even occur to me that an umbrella wouldn't be collapsible so I wanted to know do the eclipse umbrellas collapse as well or will only the umbrellas that do specifically advertise as such?

~Jordan
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II