I have mentioned a couple of times that I have developed a system where I shoot all year long, then I assess and adjust my kit over the following winter. I have been doing so for a couple of years now and I have to say I am very pleased overall to the point where I am not anticipating any major changes. But I thought I would share a few observations.

First, my usage by lens:

Lens
Usage (%)
EF 24-70 II 38
Sigma 150-600S 31
70-200 II 9
70-300 L 8
16-35 f/4 IS 7
EFm 18-55 2
Sigma 50A 2
EFm 22 2
100 L 1
Rokinon 14 f/2.8 UMC 1
Not Used:
TSE 24 f/3.5 II
EF 40 mm f/2.8

In the past, if a lens wasn't used, I would sell it, but I am going to hold on to both the TSE 24 f/3.5 and 40 pancake.

So that is by the numbers, but in terms of priority for me, the 24-70 II lives on my 5DIII. I would say I actually "use" it over half of the time. The 150-600S, while has a lot of shots, was mostly used for 5-6 "events" where I was intentionally shooting wildlife. I am still processing some of those "events," having already focused on the best shots and simply have not yet deleted all the other shots. So, after I do that, the number of keepers from the 150-600S will go down dramatically. My second "favorite" lens is the 70-200 II. If I had to have only 2 lenses, it would be the 24-70 II and 70-200 II.

One of my pleasant surprises has been the 70-300L that I picked it up last year. I really enjoy using it, am very impressed with the IQ, and it travels great (the intended purpose). Then the 16-35 f/4 IS is great for waterfalls and in tight spaces such as cities.

My travel kit has become some variation of:
  • EF 16-35 f/4 IS (if UWA is anticipated)
  • EF 24-70 II (always, although I've thought about traveling with the 50A instead to see how I like that)
  • EF 70-200 II (if portraits/family is involved)
  • EF 70-300 L (if not taking the 70-200 II)
  • 150-600S (if wildlife shots are anticipated)

I usually travel with 2-3 of the above.

In terms of what to do next, I am very happy with my kit. I also do not perceive any glaring holes. A few minor holes would be my small/compact camera set up for when I do not want to bring the 5DIII kit, being able to shoot f/4-5.6 at long focal lengths (I am almost always at f/8 with the 150-600S), and some workflow gear like a better monitor or a traveling laptop. Also, prime lenses always tempt me a little (EF 135 f/2, MPE 65, or something in the 20-24 mm range), for the wider aperture, vignetting, and premium sharpness.

Ultimately, what I think I have decided is a combination of trying to make my M kit more appealing, picking up a nicer P&S so I always have a camera with me, some travel flashes (just picked up a second 270 ex, refurbished), and either a guided trip or photography course.

As for the M, I am thinking it gets another year. If it doesn't work out or I prefer the P&S, then I'll sell off my M kit next winter.

So, that is my winter "gear" plan. I would be interested if anyone else has any thoughts.

Thanks. Brant