Thread: Image stabilization and tall buildings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Interesting question. I don't have an answer per se, as in my mind it would depend on the magnitude and direction of the vibration. I suspect that IS would, but your camera would be battling its system that is supposed to detect if the camera is on a tripod and turn IS off and the slight movement that it would adjust for with IS.

Your question also got me wondering about the benefits of carbon fiber legs on your tripod. They are supposed to be far better than aluminum at dampening vibrations. I wonder if you could feel/see the vibration, but your camera...nothing....all due to the CF tripod.

If you are ever in that situation again, I would be curious if you could feel the vibration in the railing, then touch the top of the tripod, and if you feel it there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    If you are ever in that situation again, I would be curious if you could feel the vibration in the railing, then touch the top of the tripod, and if you feel it there or not.
    Just open live view and go to 10x. If it is there you will see it.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Just open live view and go to 10x. If it is there you will see it.
    I didn't notice any vibration when I was focusing at 10x. However, will vibration appear of a lower magnitude at 60 seconds+? It appears that I did have 1 photo at 128 seconds (ML bracketing); but with a 20mm lens on the 6D, I just couldn't tell. Next time I will use a longer lens, a ND filter and a much longer shutter speed.
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.