Thread: Lens suggestions please.

Lens suggestions please.

I have a Canon 550D, with the kit lens EFS 18-55mm IS, an EF 100 mm Macro, and an EF 70-200mm IS f4.0 zoom. I also have access to an older 17-85 mm IS lens which I quite like, but it suffers from lens creep - if that is the right term....the lens extends when the camera is being carried but not in use.

I am wanting to purchase a good quality general purpose walk around lens, that will stay on the camera most of the time. It would be used mainly for everyday shots, landscapes, and holiday pictures. As a relative newcomer to the the world of DSLRs there is a huge and rather confusing number of lenses from which to choose. I would prefer Canon or Sigma brands, and would be really interested to hear what you folk might suggest, and why.

Many thanks in anticipation.

If money is no object, the 17-55 f2.8 IS is unquestionably the best image quality, build, reliability you will get in a standard zoom that is wide enough for an APS-C sensor camera.

If price is a problem, you can consider the 17-40 f4L, a little slower but fantastic image quality and no lens creep!!!

I have not shot with a sigma of this range, so I can't give you any advice there. I have shot a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, and what it lacked in autofocus speed and silence(loud in comparision to USM lenses) it made up in image quality. It is a pretty sharp lens for the price and has many happy owners.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Another walk-around lens that is often recommended for crop cameras like yours (and mine) is the EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6(click here for Brian's review). It is like an updated version of the 17-85 with better image quality.
    The 17-55 that Dave mentioned has the advantage of the wider aperture (nicer background blur great for low light shots), and even superior image quality, the 15-85 has more reach. The additional 2 mm on the wide end should be helpful for landscape pictures.
    You can read Brian's recommendations here, in case you haven't seen it yet: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/C...pose-Lens.aspx

Arnt

Thank you both for your suggestions, they all sound like what I need and find most useful. I shall read the detailed reviews and make a decision soon. I'm going on a driving holiday to Tasmania in a couple of months time, and would like to have the best kit to take with me. I will try and let you know what I purchase.

Thanks again, and happy shooting to you both,

Sumak

I have just received my 17 -55 lens.....it looks fabulous, bigger than I thought but I can manage it easily. Now for a weekend of testing what it can do!!

Enjoy, and let us know how it went
    Arnt

Enjoy Tassie! Last time I was there I had only a 35mm film Nikon P&S, before I'd bought my first digital and my missus' digital P&S had just died.

I so have to go back there one day (after i've bought either a 8-16 or 11-16, or a FF body).

We want pics when you get back!
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos