Thread: Sl1/100d

Sl1/100d

I've been intrigued by the SL1. I can see using it when a smaller lighter camera is needed, for the 1.6 crop factor, and it reportedly has an "all new" sensor. Well, the first results from Bryan's tests are in and at least regarding the sensor technology, the new appears to be pretty similar to the old technology to my eye. This isn't really intended to be a negative post, more of just stating the facts as I see it to see if others see something different in the results. The SL1 is still an interesting camera, I like the concept and I hope it sells well.

Canon says "all new" as a marketing tactic. Technically, they're not wrong - it's newly designed. But what's changed from the T5i is that Hybrid CMOS has become Hybrid CMOS II - the area where there are phase AF detectors on the CMOS sensor has been increased.

The imaging portion of the sensor is basically unchanged (except for the loss of a few pixels where the additional phase AF detectors are located).

I am waiting for updated M. I have the 5dIII (and the T3i which now never gets a shutter click these days). It would be interesting to see Canon either update the M with a better overall sensor & focusing and (taking a long drag on the controlled substance) a FF mirrorless - wouldn't that be cool!!!...... Ouch, you didn't have pinch so hard I was hallucinating not dreaming.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Sl1/100d

Thanks John. Based on that, I shouldn't have expected any increase in performance.