I've generally been under the impression that Best Buy is pretty overpriced on camera gear. They are - the 5DII sells for $2900 ($200 more than other retailers), the 24-70mm f/2.8L sells for $1450 ($50 more than elsewhere). Plus, as a local brick and mortar store, sales tax adds to the costs.

I was looking to get a new camcorder to replace my aging standard definition MiniDV, and after doing a bit of research, I settled on the Canon Vixia HF M41 - full HD,same sensor as the flagship consumer camcorder costing twice as much(1/3", large for a camcorder, and with just enough pixels for HD video - many camcorders inflate the pixel count for higher res still pics, but I've got that covered...), excellent low light performance, a good focal length range for me, and seemingly ideal for my needs.

Unfortunately, my initial research didn't extend to checking stock levels - the camera was announced in January with availability in March. Some units certainly shipped, but with the damage caused by the tragic events in Japan, Amazon doesn't even list the M41 (they do have M40 and M400, versions with less or no internal flash memory, but those also lack an electronic viewfinder). B&H lists it as new and no estimated arrival, Adorama lists it as backordered with no estimated in stock date. So, I was faced with the 'wait and hope' or 'find a second choice' alternatives.

On a lark, from the Canon website, I clicked the Where to Buy button, and Best Buy stores filled the geographically sorted list. According to their website, Best Buy had the M41 in stock at the store near my house, at a list price of $799 (the MSRP, but surprisingly to me, no higher), and it was listed on sale for $679 (so even with sales tax it would come out almost $80 less than preordering from B&H)! So,I stopped by Best Buy on my way home today, and didn't see the M41 on display. The salesperson checked the computer, which confirmed 3 in stock - at a price of $849.99 ($50 more than MSRP, reaffirming my views on typical Best Buy pricing). He found them in the locked cabinet under the displays (explaining why they had them in stock - hard to sell a model that's not on display!), and he matched the sale price from their own website. So, I got a great deal on a new camcorder....at Best Buy, of all places!