Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mk III firmware update - in 6 months !!!!!!!

Unhappy Mk III firmware update - in 6 months !!!!!!!

Just read on the announcements page that Canon will be releasing a firmware upgrade for the MkIII but in 6 months - what's the point of telling us that now?

The new firmware update will be available, at no charge, in April 2013......

So you don't see the 1DX getting f/8 autofocus and buy it? That's can't be it, because that would actually be in Canon's best interests to have you buy more gear.

To stop the push for reverse engineering the change in the 1DX and making bootleg firmware for the 5D3, since you'll be getting it "pretty soon" anyway. This is more likely. Plus it helps keep the 1DX on top, for an extra 6 months.

To stop people from emailing them about it. This is most likely.

The firmware is already written. Canon just doesn't want to give it to you yet.

I love Canon marketing, they know how to take care of their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I love Canon marketing, they know how to take care of their customers.
    The truth is, though, that Canon is taking care of its customers.
    • Let's look at the 7D firmware--several key features were implemented that customers weren't necessarily bombarding Canon about. But the fact is they made the product more valuable for the 7D customer base.
    • After tons of inquiries, Canon decided to fix the f/5.6 max aperture focusing limitation and focus dot illumination color in the 1D X. If people hadn't wanted it, do you think they would have done it? Probably not. They are listening to their customers.
    • Having realized their customers' regard for the severity of the f/5.6 max aperture focusing limitation, they decided the 5D Mark III should get the f/8 feature as well. They could have left this as a differentiating feature between the 1-series cameras and the rest of the camera lines (as has been in the past), but they didn't.
    I don't know why Canon decided to announce this firmware update so far in advance (I'm sure it's for some marketing reason, though). However, it's nice to know they are still working hard to give their customers what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    The truth is, though, that Canon is taking care of its customers.
    • Let's look at the 7D firmware--several key features were implemented that customers weren't necessarily bombarding Canon about. But the fact is they made the product more valuable for the 7D customer base.
    • After tons of inquiries, Canon decided to fix the f/5.6 max aperture focusing limitation and focus dot illumination color in the 1D X. If people hadn't wanted it, do you think they would have done it? Probably not. They are listening to their customers.
    • Having realized their customers' regard for the severity of the f/5.6 max aperture focusing limitation, they decided the 5D Mark III should get the f/8 feature as well. They could have left this as a differentiating feature between the 1-series cameras and the rest of the camera lines (as has been in the past), but they didn't.
    I don't know why Canon decided to announce this firmware update so far in advance (I'm sure it's for some marketing reason, though). However, it's nice to know they are still working hard to give their customers what they want.
    Now... Didn't I say I love Canon marketing

But you have to wonder why would they put a release out like this 6 months in advance? I would have thought if it were in development they would have put out a release saying we are working on a firmware update.

We are looking at two diffrent departments inside Canon, marketing which often leaves us puzzled and wondering and development who usualy comes through for us.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 10-23-2012 at 06:13 PM.

The 7D firmware update was also announced months in advance. Just the way Canon operates, I guess. I'm really itching for a 5D MkIII now, though.
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    The 7D firmware update was also announced months in advance. Just the way Canon operates, I guess. I'm really itching for a 5D MkIII now, though.
    Anounced June 27th or there about, released on August 7th or there about. A bit over a month.

This anouncment just over 1/2 a year away.

In my opinion.

There are two reasons to update the firmware, a bug fix and a feature enhancement.

I notice that Canon do not give advance warning of bug fix releases, we just expect them to come when they are corrected.

When it comes to feature enhancements they announce them when they make the decision to include the new features. This is all about letting the customer base know that Canon is listening to them. The reason for the big gap is testing time, when you make changes to firmware there is a lot of testing to be done.

I think that this is a good thing that Canon let us know what they are doing and more companies should do the same thing.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    It may be coming in 6 months but I will certainly be glad to have f8 AF. I can only think the early announcement is due to being bombarded with emails from people with the 5D3 who learned that the f5.6 limitation can be fixed in a firmware update due to the poor choice to limit the 1Dx when released. Might cut into 1Dx sales a small amount, but how many more new 500 and 600 mm lenses will now be purchased?

Big question now is how far down the firmware fix will trickle now that the cat is out of the bag? 5D2, 7D, T4, T3 with f8 AF anyone?
    This actually interested me the most. I've been saving for a 1D series for awhile. I figured it was cheaper to add teleconverters to my 400mm f5.6L and a used 1D body than to save for a 600mm. After I got enough for the 1DIII, I figured why not save for the 1DIV (then I practically cut my finger off and medical bills have stopped any purchase for awhile, but I digress...). However, if Canon is willing to fix the f8 autofocus in a non-1D body, I could see a crop replacement for the 7D as a very interesting upgrade....especially with improved autofocus, cleaner image output, and a sub-$2000 price tag.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

The early announcement is probably to keep the 6D from cannibalizing 5D3 purchases.