Thread: Any good film camera recommendation?

Any good film camera recommendation?

I've a DSLR but would like to get a film camera (mostly general purpose use). I heard the Canon AE-1 and the Nikon FM10 is good. Does anyone has any good advice? Thanks in advance!

Re: Any good film camera recommendation?

If you have some Canon EF lenses then you should probably think about Canon EOS film cameras. I am using the 1V-HS right now which is a camera 10 years old in design but still in production. The 1V is like every 1 series camera as Canon's flagship.

The most practical I would say is the EOS 3, it's out of production but it has almost every feature of the 1V. You can find a used EOS 3 in probably like new shape for less than $300 easily.

The Elan 7N bodies were introduced in 2004 but out of production now. It's a very capable film SLR for less than $100 mint used.

Frankly speaking, if you're looking for better manual experience, I think Nikon's got the place. Try some classic F2 or F3 or even a modern FM10. The Canon AE1 is also a good manual body, but it requires FD lenses which are not easily adaptable to EF at all. The Canon F1 is also a classic FD mount SLR, but hard to find in good shape (once the camera is in nice condition people will probably keep it just for show).

Ben

Re: Any good film camera recommendation?

I have been using a Canon T-70 since '81. There in lies the problem you may face. I have found that lens with this mount are near impossible to find in my area. There are buys out there on the net,but for me, I need to see in person the item I would buy. That being said, I have been very pleased with the performance of the T-70. I have shot weddings with it but what I do mostly is outdoor nature/landscape work. The body is not weather sealed but I have had no problems with moisture/dust. Maybe because I try follow good lens/film changing practises and I have OCD about keeping my equipment clean. I hope this little bit of information is helpful, be safe and happy shooting...