Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help deciding whether to buy a new camera body or a good lens??

Need help deciding whether to buy a new camera body or a good lens??

hi.

I nee help deciding whether to buy a new camera body or buy a good lens and just keep my "old body"???

I currently use a Canon Xti with a 24-70 f2.8 L lens. I am an enthusiast though I only shoot photos occasionally. I am quite satisfied with my pictures right now.

I am currently thinking of upgrading my camera body to a 5d mkii. But taking into account that I just take photos occasionally would it not be "overkill" for me to upgrade to such a camera body?? This is my only choice coz I've decided a while ago that when I do decide to upgrade, it will be to a full frame body.

My alternative if I don't get the new body is to get me the 70-200 f2.8L IS lens.

What do you guys think?? considering that I am an enthuisiast who only shoots occasionally, do I go for the 5d mkii or do i just keep my XTi and get the 70-200 lens???

Re: Need help deciding whether to buy a new camera body or a good lens??

Get a 70-200mm and you will never look back. The general rule is to upgrade your glass before your camera body, since you don't have many lenses (heck, you only have one) it would improve your pictures more to have a more complete focal length range.

Quote Originally Posted by jks_photo
    do I go for the 5d mkii or do i just keep my XTi and get the 70-200 lens???

Personally, I'd go with the 70-200.

will the 70-200 also help me get better when i shoot at high ISO setting such as ISO 800??

As iv'e mentioned I use an XTi and am not that comfortable taking pictures at ISO 800 since they ten to get grainy. Maximum ISO i use is 400 and am satisfied with my results, but it feels limiting at times.

This lens is *rumored* to see a Mark II update fairly soon, so factor that into your consideration, in particular the impact on such an announcement on the market price for used copies. But it is entirely possible that no such update will occur in the near to mid-future.

I agree with the general provision that glass, especially high-quality glass, is the more important part of the system when it comes to purchasing and upgrading. That said, however, the move from APS-C to 35mm sensors is a huge one, and it will have a very pronounced impact on the objective quality and subjective aesthetics of your images. Entire lens collections have been re-thought over such a transition. And the jump from the XTi to the 5D2 is really, really huge. You get a much more detailed and noise-free image, much better low-light capabilities, better handling, and more robust build, not to mention video capability. So this is not a decision to be made on the basis of generalities.

You should also consider whether the EF 70-200/2.8L IS is in fact the appropriate lens for you to purchase given your needs, as opposed to simply choosing a popular zoom because of its reputation. To what end does this lens fit your shooting conditions, choice of subjects, and style of photography?

Still, you can be assured that the 5D2 will depreciate in value much more rapidly than any EF lens, even the 70-200/2.8L IS should a Mark II be announced. At best that would shave off a few hundred dollars in resale off the Mark I, and perhaps none at all if the Mark II comes in at 15-20% higher MSRP. EF lenses, especially of the L class, retain value incredibly well, and in fact may appreciate in value as we are seeing right now. Several months ago, the EF 85/1.2L II was hovering around $1600-1700 retail, and now it's $2000. Used copies are selling at the same price as new ones months ago. Same with the EF 300/2.8L IS, which was below $4000 and now is as high as $4600. And this is because EF lenses have a very long service lifetime--people still use decades-old glass, but very few people still shoot with a Canon 10D.

3 years ago the 70-200 f/2.8L IS was $1700, the 5D was about $3000, now the 70-200 f/2.8L IS is $1949, the 5D is discontinued and sold for about $1500 used. Get the glass!

sorry.

that's "will it help me get better PICTURES when i shoot at high ISO setting such as ISO 800??"

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    agree with the general provision that glass, especially high-quality glass, is the more important part of the system when it comes to purchasing and upgrading. That said, however, the move from APS-C to 35mm sensors is a huge one, and it will have a very pronounced impact on the objective quality and subjective aesthetics of your images. Entire lens collections have been re-thought over such a transition. And the jump from the XTi to the 5D2 is really, really huge. You get a much more detailed and noise-free image, much better low-light capabilities, better handling, and more robust build, not to mention video capability. So this is not a decision to be made on the basis of generalities.

my sentiments exactly. I was considering the 5d mkii because of it's low light shooting capabilties and better noise control. Don't really care for the video feature.

sorry.

that's "will it help me get better PICTURES when i shoot at high ISO setting such as ISO 800??"
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

what about still use your XTi, ISO 200, but with some faster prime lens, to begin with, I recommend 85mm 1.8. or 50mm 1.4(people in this forum posted very nice pictures with $100 50mm 1.8), these lenses are great for low light , sharper than zoom lenses and can produce nice bokeh which your 24-70 can't. the IQ of XTi+ISO200+50mm1.4 should not be a lot worse than IQ of 5DII+ISO800+24-70mm at 50mm/f2.8 if not better.

sorry.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

what about still use your XTi, ISO 200, but with some faster prime lens, to begin with, I recommend 85mm 1.8. or 50mm 1.4(people in this forum posted very nice pictures with $100 50mm 1.8), these lenses are great for low light , sharper than zoom lenses and can produce nice bokeh which your 24-70 can't. the IQ of XTi+ISO200+50mm1.4 should not be a lot worse than IQ of 5DII+ISO800+24-70mm at 50mm/f2.8 if not better.