Thread: 2x III - What am I missing

2x III - What am I missing

I have a few dollars burning a hole in my credit card....

I am thinking of the 2xIII and using it on the 7-200 2.8 II. I looked at the crops and the image quality looks pretty darn good for a $500 investment.

Between my crop body, ff, 17-55, 70-200, and 2x that makes up a fairly exetensive set of focal lengths in a pretty small day trip bag.

Thoughts? (I use strap clip for a body & lense to keep my hands free)

Anyone try the 2xIII w/ the 70-200 II and how did the real world images look like?

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I have that combo (70-200 II and 2xIII). I can´t say I have used it a lot, but as you say, you can pack an extensive set of focal lengths in a small pack, so it is very handy. I brought the combo to Corsica and Provence this summer and used it to photograph some vultures in flight in Gorges de Verdon and a hawk and some large insects on Corsica. I had to crop most of the images, but they still look good. Resolution, color etc. are better than I actually expected when I bought them. AF will be a little less reliable, but still good enough (I used the 5DIII on both trips). I have used the extender more with the 400mm f28L IS II and that combo produces excellent results. I must admit though that I find the price a bit stiff for an extender, but what Canon product does not carry a stiff price these days ...

2x III - What am I missing

I haven't used the 2xIII with my 70-200 II yet, only with the 600/4 II. But I did use the 2xII with the 70-200 II, and the combo worked very well. I also have the 100-400, else the 70-200 II + 2x would have seen more use. But I was pleased with the results when I did use the combo.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    The 1.4x is easier to recommend for the 70-200 for the better IQ. The 2x is great at filling more of the frame with small subjects at closer distances. With small objects at greater distance the loss in the image quality is more noticeable. When down in the shadow of the big ears I'll have both extenders with me if you want to try out both if you think you can wait a month.
    Ta da - I like that idea.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911