Thread: Focus point

Focus point

I noticed yesterday while shooting in live mode that there is a big difference in the focus point verses thru the viewfinder. I don't see any difference in the picture when taken in either mode but I'm trying to figure out why it shows up differently between the two.

Here's the step up;

1. step a target

2. focus using center point and take a picture

3. do the same thing now in live view but notice the difference in focus location. Recompose focus point, take a shot and now look at the composition thru the viewfinder. It should be off target by quite a bit.

Any thoughts? I'm stumped...

Re: Focus point

It was hard for me to understand. It sounds like you're saying that focusing with live view is more accurate than the normal phase detect autofocus system. If so, then you are correct: there are many things that can affect (and improve) the phase detect autofocus system, such as microadjustment. Both are usually focused wide open, so if you shoot stopped down, I would not be surprised that you don't see any difference.

Kind regards,
    --Daniel

I don't mean to say one is more accurate than the other, I'm to say that the if you focus on a point thru the viewfinder then turn live view on you'll see that the focus box is located no where near where you focused thru the viewfinder. The situation occurs in both directions. It seems odd and I didn't expect to see that. I was originally using the viewfinder to get a target sighted and then when to liveview to take the picture and found the focus point to be different.

Not sure if that makes it any clearer.

Flish,

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]The misalignment between your view finder focus point and the live view focus square could be caused by moving the live view focus point via the Multi-controller knob (joy stick).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I'm not sure which camera model you have, but on the 1Ds, during live view, you can move the focus area anywhere on the LCD screen via the Multi-controller knob. <o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]So if you have touched the Multi-controller knob during live view you then moved the focus area.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]Bob<o></o>

I'm using a 5D MII and you're spot on. I must have moved the focus "box" previously and it doesn't reset itself to center so that must be what it is. That was making me crazy so thanks for kick in the right direction!!!

Kevin