Thread: Spend ~ $2500 on 1DsII or 5DII?

Spend ~ $2500 on 1DsII or 5DII?

I know it all comes down to what you shoot, so let's say "all-purpose except sports" and keep it simple. (I've got a 40D for action shots)

the dilemma: $2500 at B&H buys a very good used 1DsII and also a new 5DII.

It's hard to pass up the 1-series, but equally hard to forgo the rez, the video and high-ISO performance of the 5DII. But I can't shake the feeling that those bigger "pixels" on the 1DsII (and the orig 5D) just make better images.

I'm also tempted to spend half the $2500 and buy a used 5D, just because the IQ out of that body (with good glass of course) is really breathtaking. But then I'm back to missing all the qualities that make the 1-series so good, not least of which is the weather-sealing.

So...if you had to choose one of the three (the 5D is an 8+ right now for $1149, the 1DsII is a "9" at B&H for $2549, the 5DII is new for $2499) which one would it be?

Is it a 'no-brainer' because of the video on the 5DII? Or simply because the 1DsII is pretty ancient at this point? Is it crazy to even think about buying a 6-year old body (I assume it's nearing or even past the 200K shutter activations "limit")?

As always - thanks for any thoughts you'd care to share!

Re: Spend ~ $2500 on 1DsII or 5DII?

Given the choices, unless your needs require the weather sealing of a 1D, I'd go with the 5D Mark II. Think of it this way--with a 5D Mark II, you're basically getting a slightly better sensor (and technology) than a 1Ds Mark III, and that's a $4500 camera (at the time of this post). Plus, the 5D Mark II has much better image quality at higher ISOs (from what I can tell) than the 1Ds Mark II, regardless of pixel size or density.

So what is ultimately more important to you?

Weather sealing/durability? 1Ds Mark II

Image quality/video/high ISO performance? 5D Mark II

Price? 5D

I agree with Sean, though my list of what matters most is slightly different:

High iso performance/resolution: 5DII

Autofocus/handling&responsiveness: 1DsII

I think you're mistaken about the small pixels. The only disadvantage of the extra resolution is that it takes a high data rate to get lots of pictures off the sensor. But frame rate is a non-issue between the 5DII and the 1DsII.

For low light, the 5DII wins. For rapidly moving objects in good light, the 1DsII wins. I would choose the 5DII for "all purpose except sports".

I had to make the same decision when I bought my 5DII. I considered the 1DsII, but I'm glad I went with the 5DII (and since I own a 1DIIN, I think I have a pretty good idea of what the 1DsII would have been like).

Thanks you guys - figured it'd be the newer body. Makes sense too, I just want a 1-series eventually and this seemed like as good a chance as I'll ever get. But I don't have to decide this minute - I assume the 1DsII used will be around more and more as new models are released...

I agree with Sean as well. 5D MKII is a great body. Beautiful resolution and colours. The only reason to choose an old 1D is for action and weather sealing. But in this case I would rather take a 1D MKIII (not Ds) It has a very fast autofocus, 10 FPS and weather sealing. If you shoot macro/portrait/landescape 5DII is only comparable to the 1Ds MKIII