Thread: 7D bird settings.

7D bird settings.

Hi all, got the 7D straight out the box. Havnt got any time to do much this week as im as busy as hell. Anyway, for those with a 7D is there any base settings that will save me time reading the manual, practicing various settings to help with bird/sports tracking. Did a practice with my 1DS3 this weekend and got the technique down ok for that camera but is there a prefferred setting for the 7D? Those little critters move fast and im yet to try any real bird in flight photography. Did some top sports shots at a local motorcycle race but birds is the last technique i need to get used to. Practice practice practice.

Any help that will save me a little time is most appreciated as i have a few hours spare on Saturday and im off to a local wildlife reserve.

Just to busy!!!

Mick

Re: 7D bird settings.

Hey mick, congrats on your new 7D! I'll see if I can help you. I'll assume you're using an f/4 lens.

Birds in Flight (depends on weather) - 1/1000-1/2500, f/5.6-f/8.0, ISO 100-500. Use AI Servo. At these shutter speeds IS won't really help.

Motorsports - Mode 2 IS for panning, 1/1000 or more shutter speed to slow down action, 1/200 or so for panning shots.

Enjoy the wildlife reserve!

brendan

Brendan to get a clear view...you use Manual mode?? Also it might make sense to tell what type of metering you use etc.

I would have guessed that if I would use a semi-auto-mode like AV or TV that I would use spot-metering instead of matrix, but I'm just guessing!

Jan

Yep! I use Manual mode 100% of the time. And evaluative metering. Oh, and 19pt AF. Unless you're using a setup the 19pt AF is just superb for whatever you throw at it. Like Frigatebirds.

Here's an article by Doug Brown on how to setup a 7D for BIF : http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/blog/?p=226

I would trust his advice, I've seen alot of his work and you can tell he knows what he's talkin' about!

Joel

Here are another couple of additional articles:

http://garyluhm.net/bio/tips_0310.html

http://ourwildamerica.com/?p=36

Whenever someone asks something birds, I always point them to Arthur Morris. Mick, check out his bulletin archives. They're entertaining, informative and a good read IMO.

brendan