Thread: 7D or 1D mk IV ?

7D or 1D mk IV ?

Hello to all,

Here's the situation : I have a 5D mk II for studio, landscapes, macro and all static or slow fps work, and a 50D for sports and journalism. All with L lenses (and some Sigmas).

I make part of my income from photography but I'm not a front page photographer, neither a king of galleries prints (wannabee only [] ), just a simple professional.

To replace the 50D use, I tought of the 1D mk II which will need a big financial effort ... with no immediate return, or the 7D which can be home in a week.

I want a better, faster AF and image resolution than the 50D. Other differences in features beteween the 7D and 1D are not important to me.

In term of image quality only (not taking in account the APS-H, C or else), is 1D mk IV worth the effort (and price) or the 7D will do the right job and can be taken already very far in the "pro" league (i.e. output must be accepted for magazine prints) ?

It's a technical question ... I know that good photographers can make miracles from a Mattel Kid Camera :-)

Thanks for your advices

And have a great Easter time !

Re: 7D or 1D mk IV ?

You don't need the 1D4. Why? Because you're asking this question. If you needed a 1D you'd probably know it. The 7D is PRO! Juza uses it. Arthur Morris uses it. It may be categorized as "prosumer" but believe me, it packs quite a punch.

it takes money to make money, if you have the buck I'd say go for the Mark IV. Mark IV will give you the ultimate low light and AF performance. 7D is there with the Mark IV in the AF department, but not even close in the low light.

Six weeks ago, I had a 1D3 and a Rebel XTi, and she had a 40D. I wanted a new camera to replace the XTi, and wanted a 1D4 for that role. We decided a 1D4 wasn't in the budget this year, so I'd get a 7D which we'd share, and next year I'll buy a 1D4 and the 7D would become "hers".

I bought the 7D, and we used it on several events over the past few weeks. As a result of that experience, I have a second 7D due to arrive Friday, and we'll be selling the XTi very shortly. I may get a 1D4 next year, or some glass, but I'm very happy with the 7D!
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Six weeks ago, I had a 1D3 and a Rebel XTi, and she had a 40D...

I bought the 7D, and we used it on several events over the past few weeks. As a result of that experience, I have a second 7D due to arrive Friday, and we'll be selling the XTi very shortly. I may get a 1D4 next year, or some glass, but I'm very happy with the 7D!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

As a current 1D Mark III owner (you, not me) I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement for the 7D!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

As a current 1D Mark III owner (you, not me) I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement for the 7D!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yep. I'm going to add to that a bit: a few weeks ago, we shot an event. I had the 1D3 and the 200/2, she had the 7D and my 70-200/2.8 IS (original), plus her 40D and the 16-35II. Five other photographers contributed - 40D with 18-55IS or 75-300, 300D with 18-55 or 55-200, and three Nikon shooters (most or all with kit-level glass). My 1D3 occasionally had the 24-105 or the 24TS, and I didn't shoot a lot as I was primarily managing the crew.

Everything shot with the 7D/70-200 stands out from the rest - it has clarity, pop, and sizzle, straight into Lightroom with no touch-up (yet). That's against a 1D3 and the 200/2, which most of you know I constantly drool over. I'm going through my shots from a recent CHL hockey game where I got to use the 7D and 200/2 combo (amongst others), and I'm really impressed.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Just think, the money you save on maybe not purchasing the 1D Mark IV you could put towards the 200mm f/2.0 L IS :-)

I started shooting a lot of surf pics with my 40D and 100-400 lens combo. I was happy with my shots except they were a little far away and I'd like a little more fps. Instead of investing $8k on a 600 mm lens I kicked around the idea of buying a refurb 1DIII but that wouldn't have given me any more crop ability, so I thought about 1DmkIV but $5k was tough to swallow too. I almost dismissed the 7D due to all the talk of soft images. I'm glad I got over that. For $1600 the 7D is a dream. At $3000 the 7D would be a dream.