Thread: Wisconsin Big Cat Rescue

Wisconsin Big Cat Rescue

Wisconsin Big Cat Rescue & Education Center was opened in 2005 by two photographers after they saw the abuse and neglect that big cats go thru in zoos & circuses, etc. Some of the cats I saw today were also from backyard breeders where they were kept in very tiny cages for years. I was also told that there are so many that they have to turn away about 50 cats a year because they just don't have the room for all of them.

This was my first time at the rescue and my heart really went out to these guys. They had about 25 or so cats and some showed the physicalsigns from their past, such as marks on some of the noses and others carry the emotional scars. The panther showed the most visible scars. Now they will live out their days and this beautiful, caring place.

I know there are alot of photos here but I just couldn't choose one over the other to post. I fell in love with all these guys! All photos were shot thru fences and I was standing behind a bar. So, sometimes the distance between the fence and the cat and the fence and myself worked, other times not so much.

Thanks for viewing and please take a moment to visit the website of this wonderful safe haven.

http://www.wisconsinbigcats.org/

Denise

Re: Wisconsin Big Cat Rescue

Wow, those are beautiful animals! Great job capturing some adorable behaviors. And kudos to the people that formed the rescue and education center.

Damian

ps. what lens(es) did you use?

Thanks, Damian!

I used my 100-400mm and on some of them I used my 200mm f/2.8L II. If you click on the photo, you can view the EXIF data in flickr.

Denise

Very cool Denise, I want to go there.

And I want a tiger.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

It was a very nice and very clean place. I wanted to take home one of the tigers but I don

Denise, Great post---I have had family in town so not much time to read, comment or post, but I just had say ---good job on getting the word out about places like this. I too have a place I frequent that shelters wolves and wolf dogs for many of the same reasons, you can find them at http://www.wildspiritwolfsanctuary.org/

Great pictures too, nice job on working around the fence.

Bob
    Bob