<div>

Hi everyone,

I've been researching telephoto lenses lately as I think I may desire to get into some serious wildlife photography and possibly some sports photography in my future. To start with, for my first telephoto lens, my budget would probably be in the $1000 range. If I knew I wouldn't be upgrading that lens in the future, there'd be no hesitation to choose the Canon 400mm f/5.6L as my main wildlife lens. However, I know that eventually I will most likely want to upgrade to the Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens for the more reach, extra stop of light, IS, and great teleconverter performance. At that time, it seems to me that the 400mm lens would rarely see any use and I might rather have a 300mm lens. I know that for both wildlife and sports, I may very well eventually want to purchase the 300mm f/2.8L IS lens.

I'd appreciate any advice as to which lenses I should purchase and in what order. I'd like to start out with something especially awesome in the $1000 range that will keep me satisfied for a good long time before the funds start coming in for the big super-tele lenses. My priority for the first lens is for wildlife. Eventually for sports I've been considering starting with the Canon 200mm f/2.8L prime. The Canon 500L is the longest lens I think I'm going to ever be willing to lug around. Especially seeing how great it performs with teleconverters. I also think I'll want to upgrade my 20D to either a 7D or 1D Mark III/IV sometime in the future.

So, in conclusion... which of these lenses (and camera) in what order? Please keep in mind that this will most likely be very long term, so I want to make the very best choices regarding which to purchase first.

Canon 400 f/5.6L
Canon 500 f/4L IS
Canon 300 f/2.8L IS
Canon 300 f/4L IS
Canon 200 f/2.8L
Canon 70-200 f/4L
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Canon 1D Mark III/IV or 7D

Again, primary focus is wildlife. After that comes sports &amp; general nature. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time!

Derrick
</div>