Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5Ds R in stock at B&H

5Ds R in stock at B&H

Brian might be a little slow on the trigger or I missed it.

But B&H has the 5Ds R in stock now. No longer pre-order.

Did you get one?

Here is a real world review from a wedding photographer.

http://chrisgilesphotography.com/blo...g-photography/

It arrived just as I was reading this.

Ha....perfect....I am curious as to your thoughts after you've had it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Ha....perfect....I am curious as to your thoughts after you've had it a bit.
    I have shot over 1000 pics so far, on the fourth day in London.

Negatives first;
    My thoughts so far is the 5Ds R is a buffer hog. Your not going to shoot anything fast with. Once you burn through the few frames for the buffer it stays busy for a while. You shoot three or four shots in a row and want to chimp your pictures, your going to see the busy signal. But I expected this.
    The files eat up your computer, both speed and storage. Speed is the bigger issue for me, if you have an older computer you might be waiting for a few seconds for an image to load.

The Good;
    So far noise or moire have been no issue (maybe a bit in the pic below). But I have not pixel peeped to see any.
    The detail from the 50mp sensor is great.
    I find the statements that "you have to use a tripod to benefit form the increased pixel density" to be ignorant. You see the increase with just normal good technique a tripod just helps as it would with any camera.
    The AF system is much better than the 7D II's. Out of the box I am getting a very high precise keeper rate.

Now the hardest to get picture in London, 8 million people plus and I spotted him yesterday. Had to take a fast picture turning backwards in the tour bus and moving.
    Here he is, I found him.... Waldo...
    1C8A0864 by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 08-11-2015 at 10:31 PM.

That's amazing. I saw Waldo yesterday too, but in Ottawa. My Waldo was also wearing a backpack rather than carrying a stack of books.

And yeah, you won't need a tripod. Anybody who has used a crop sensor body can tell you that, as it's the same pixel density.

Hope the "good"s are outweighing the "bad"s. Just remember, you're one of the few who can crop your image and still make a desktop wallpaper for a 5K iMac.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Glad to hear that we've found Waldo (twice!) and that you are having a good time with the 5Ds R.

You are further confirming the positive impressions I have read. Seems like the primary issue is file size.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Seems like the primary issue is file size.
    It was kind of obvious this would be a still life camera. Of course the large files will task the computer.

One thing I have really noticed happens because of the large files is review lag. You take several in a row and if you want to chimp the picture you will see the busy signal quite often. I do not chimp often unless condition changes but have noticed the lag often on this trip. One curious thing is that sometimes you will take a shot but while it is processing it will show you a shot you took earlier. Once it finishes you can scroll forward to the last picture.

This is a small price to pay for the amount of detail you are getting.

I am just now starting to process my Glacier National Park pics shot w/ a 5Dsr.

Detail is everything you want and expect it to be.
    Atmospheric considerations are real. Sometimes the air is not clear enough for large scale panos
    Agree w/ buffer issues, this is not a sport camera or action wildlife.
    I am happy w/ the high iso/low light shots so far, but haven't really processed them that deeply yet.

It is kind of cool to use a 50mm art and stitch together 20 or so shots and just have fun imagining my wall sized print . Now to find a wall sized printer.

I did a 480 mp pano of hidden lake (still needs some work but it is fun to zoom in/out and look for details) shot w/ the 90 t/s at f6.3 what an amazing resolving lens
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 08-19-2015 at 11:53 PM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

....did your processor melt down trying to stitch together 20 or so 50 MP shots?

A couple of reviews....

http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/07/02...review-part-1/

https://luminous-landscape.com/canon...t-performance/