Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20D Error 99: worth fixing?

20D Error 99: worth fixing?

First off, I know there are many other Err 99 threads out there so sorry for starting another one.

Situation: My 20D (my only DSLR) recently displayed "Error 99". I know this is the all inclusive Canon error code so here is the exact description of what my camera is doing. Anytime I put the battery in (canon or 3rd party) the mirror goes up and down about two or three times (At this point the camera is not on). If I turn the camera to "on" or past "on", the mirror constantly goes up and down.

All of this happens regardless of whether or not a lens is on the camera and regardless of if there is a CF card in the camera, andI cannot get to the camera's menu.

Is this repairable? I found a local shop that my uncle has used before. It has a fair diagnostic price ($40) which is then applied towards repair cost.

My question to every one is this: Is it worth fixing? Has anyone had the same problem? I would really not like to spend a ton of money fixing a 20D when I could scour ebay and possibly find a 40D for as much as repair would be to fix the 20D. (I'm on a verryy limited budget. Highschool student, wash dishes at a local restraunt haha)

*I've had the 20D for about 4 months and I bought it off of ebay. The guy a bought from said he bought it in 2005 so the warranty is deffinatly expired.

Any advice?

Re: 20D Error 99: worth fixing?

The only thing I can think of that could possibly be something you can do something about is to see if the 'take the picture' button (is that called the shutter button?) is stuck, and that the camera is in continuous shooting mode. You can try to see if you can press it or wiggle it free.

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    Has anyone had the same problem?

I and many others have had the exact same problem, it is relatively common for the 20D. It happened to my 20D twice: first around 80,000 actuations, then again around 160,000.

Is this repairable?

Canon Irvine repaired it both times by replacing the shutter assembly. They charged $200 or maybe $250.

Is it worth fixing?

IMHO, yes.

Thankyou for the super fast responses.

Ill probably take it down to the shop later this week. If the estimate turns out to be more than I canpay Im only out $40 Iguess.

Thanks!

<span style="font-size: 6pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]

<span style="color: black; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';"]<span style="font-size: small;"]When you say the "shop" do you mean Canon or someone else?<o></o>

<span style="color: black; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Canon will give you a flat fee to fix it - what is the min cost to replace it with another used body will provide the fix it or replace it question. <o></o>

<span style="color: black; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Most likely the electronics died andCanon will need to replace the main electronics module, etc. The fact that it does all the mirror movement when the on/off switch is off is a major clue.<o></o>

There is a local shop here in Pittsburgh that I would take it to.

I guess Ill browse around ebay or craigslist for a deal on a 40D and make my decision. But I just want to get shooting again as soon as I can. I have to postpone senior portraits I was going to dofor a friend now.

I'd look here for used equipment: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10. Currently, 20Ds are going for ~$250 and 40Ds for ~$700.

--Johan

Supra Sonic, did you get it fixed for free in the end? Or $400?

What I've decided to do is send it to the Canon repair facility in NJ and wait for a quote on repair. If it turns out to be more than $200 Ill most likely opt for buying another used body. Then in the future when I could afford repairs,I would have two bodies. I plan on getting a 70-200L series lens in the future too so with two bodies I wouldn' have to change lenses.

Here is what it comes down to. Canon said the price for repairs is $328. Not worth it to me at the moment. I'm opting to buy another body. Problem is I really do not want to spend more than $350. In all of yours' opinion, what body should I go with? All I need is another body. No packaged lenses or memory cards. (They would be nice but they drive the price up). Im debating over used Xti, 20D, 30D. If I can find a 30D within my price range would that be best out of my selections?I wouldn't really like to go any lower model than those. Also, where does the XTi fit in the xxD line up?

Thanks,

Rodger