Thread: Graduated ND filters

Graduated ND filters

I am debating whether a set of GND filters will be a worthwhile investment. What I am looking at is the LEE system. The holder, adapter, and both the hard and soft GND sets (each includes .3, .6 and .9 filters). This would run me $668. Right now I just have a few screw in filters. I do a lot of landscapes and typically just use a circular polarizer. What I am really wondering is if the filter set would be a substantial improvement over just taking and combining multiple exposures.

Also, if I were to only get either the soft or hard GND filters to start with, which would be a better choice?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sambisu/

5DIII, T2i, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, 600EX-RT x2

I would not get full sets to start, and the 0.3 are not particularly useful, IMO. Hard versus soft depends mostly on what you shoot, even horizons or broken horizons. If you shoot with the sun near the horizon, you are better off with a reverse ND grad. I think is 0.9 soft, is 0.6 hard, and a 0.9 reverse would be a good starter kit.

Question: do you want/need to use a CPL with your grad NDs?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    If you shoot with the sun near the horizon, you are better off with a reverse ND grad. I think is 0.9 soft, is 0.6 hard, and a 0.9 reverse would be a good starter kit.
    +1 on that exact kit. Maybe a 4 stop reverse ND filter, but I own a 3 stop and it works well.

As to the question of grad ND filters vs post processing with multiple shots. For static subjects shot from a tripod, it is debatable if the grad ND filters is better than combining multiple exposures. For moving subjects or for hand held shots, you need the grad ND filters (and yes I do hand hold some shots with my grad ND filters ). But, I also suggest that you consider it from a different angle, do you enjoy capturing the image in camera or post processing more? Personally, I really enjoy the act of taking photos. I am enjoying post process more and more, but I still enjoy sitting on a scene and thinking of how I want to capture it. I also have yet to do a HDR shot that I liked as much as an image I captured in camera. But that is me and my preferences.

I don't shoot landscapes all that often and was looking at the lee system when I first started out. Not wanting to spend that much and still see results I purchased the Cokin holder for 4x6 filters and purchased a 3 stop hard edge and 3 stop soft edge graduated filter from Hitech. I usually hand hold the filters, but they do fit in the holder. The filters aren't glass filters but a resin, kind of like the singh ray filters. They will scratch easily if you don't take care of them. I have had great luck with them and would purchase more of the brand if I were to shoot more landscapes. There is no color cast like the other cheaper versions. The reasons I choose just the two were the predominant flat land of Nebraska and most of the time, you will use the 3 stop over the others. If you are going to shoot lots of sunsets, then a reverse grad is a good one to own. I have made the hard grad work on the sunset and have come out with great results. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the replies! I actually ended up going a different route and spending my money on a RRS Pano set-up: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8869/.f

Just wasn't convinced that I would get enough value out of the filters. But I love shooting panoramas and had been wanting this for a while. The filters are still on my wish list though.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sambisu/

5DIII, T2i, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, 600EX-RT x2