Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a B+W Cr Pl

Opinions on a B+W Cr Pl

Right now, I have a Tiffen circular polarizer, 77mm slim mount. I used it on my EF-S 10-22 lens and was mildly unhappy with it due to that I can't stack filters on top of it.

Now that I own the EF 24-105L lens, I'm looking at buying a better filter for both lenses since they both take the same size. I'm looking at the B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer MRC Filter slim or the B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer Slim Filter.

What I'm wondering is:
    • Does the slim really make a difference on the ultra wide lenses?
    • Does the Kaesemann really make a difference over the non-kaesemann?
    • Can I stack ontop of the slim filter?
    • Does have it vignetting? I can't find an answer on this
    • Is it worth the extra $100 that I paid for my Tiffen and over the second B+W filter I listed?

I have a 7D
    Last edited by Photog82; 04-11-2012 at 01:47 AM.
    --

Neuro did a great write-up on filters and the different thinkness they. You can prolly just search for it on this site and it should pop up. Lots of good info. And yes, there are slim filters that have threads for stacking.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

B+W slim filters is the headline of the post (well, the part i remembered). On the second page, there is a reference to another thread where pics were made to show off the difference. My phone won't go to the link so I can't tell you for sure, but it should get ya going.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Thanks for the tip, I found the thread, it looks like the B+W 77mm Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter has threads so I can stack another filter on if I'd like. I'm wondering since it's not a slim if I will see the ring at 10mm?
    --

I have the non-Kaeseman, non-slim version on my 24-105. Not sure what body you have, but on my 7D there is no vignetting. I stack a 0.9 ND filter (also B+W) on it and still get no vignetting. I do think they're worth the money. If I have the sun in the frame with stacked filters, I occasionally get some flare, but more often I don't. And if it is there, it's so minor that it's trivial to remove it in post.

I've also shot with the 10-22mm with the CPL and had no vignetting, but you have to be really careful with the CPL at that wide angle. It's easy to get banding in the sky with the CPL.
    Mark - Flickr

I seem to recall finding a link to a site from a thread in this forum that tested and rated UV filters, but also had tests and ratings for CPLs as well. Sorry I don't recall the details as it was some time ago. Might be worth trying to find it though as Kenko and other less expensive brands had better ratings than B&W.

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    • Does the slim really make a difference on the ultra wide lenses?
    • Does the Kaesemann really make a difference over the non-kaesemann?
    • Can I stack ontop of the slim filter?
    • Does have it vignetting? I can't find an answer on this
    • Is it worth the extra $100 that I paid for my Tiffen and over the second B+W filter I listed?
    • You don't need the slim, the only benefit would be if you were stacking the filter. If you were using a wider lens like the 16-35mm the slim version would be more important.
    • I would go for the Kaesemann
    • Some are not, here are the designations.
      Mount Name

Mount Color

Non-Polarizers

Polarizers

F-Pro (front threads)
      Black
      5mm
      7mm
      Digital-Pro (front threads)
      Brushed Chrome
      5mm
      7mm
      Slim-Line (no front threads)
      Black
      3mm
      *5mm
      XS-Pro Digital (front threads)
      Black
      3.4mm
      4mm
      Extra-Wide (front threads)
      Black
      Call
      Call
    • Neither should vignette on the 24mm. When you start stacking several filters it may, are you using a FF camera? 2 normal filters you would probably be ok. Go to 3 on a full frame body and you may start to see it depending on what your stacking of course.
    • It isn't worth $100 if your family goes without food because of it. It is worth it if you want something that gives a little better IQ and do not mind paying the extra $$$. Whether it is worth it or not is a individual perception. To me it is.
    EDIT: I have this one;

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...igital_MC.html

+1 for the Nano technology.

I have two other B+W's one slim one not. The one above is the best.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 04-11-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I found the thread, it looks like the B+W 77mm Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter has threads so I can stack another filter on if I'd like. I'm wondering since it's not a slim if I will see the ring at 10mm?
    On the 24mm F/1.4 II with this CPL on and a B+W ND I haven't had a problem on the 5D II. I can't speak for the lens you are using.
    If I added a third filter I started noticing some in the corners.

I have the 7D; normally I only use the polarizer; sometimes I'll had a ND filter; though I could put the pol on top of the ND. But the biggest problem I have with my current slim on the EF-S 10-22 is that I can put the lens cap on. I also want to make sure I don't see the ring in the corners @ 10mm on my 7D with just the one filter.
    --

My mistake, I thought you were asking for the 24-105L, which you should have no problem.
    On the 10-22mm you very well may need the slim.