Thread: Backup options

Backup options

Hello all, I am in the process of setting up a backup plan for my new desktop. I was originally backing up to two small portable HDD's when I just had my laptop, using the included backup software. I never created disc images though (i know... I know...). I recently put together a desktop that I am using for editing now that I am shooting more. I have a 1.5tb inside as my main boot and storage disk. I also have an older 750gb internal that is currently empty, and I just purchased two 2TB WD externals.

Now, for my questions, what should I use to actually do the backups? Ideally I would like to set up my empty internal drive to automatically back up my files, and set up the externals to clone my boot drive regularly. What would you suggest? I have used Clonezilla, but I would prefer to not have to go through that process on a weekly or bi monthly basis for cloning.
    Gripped 7D | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | 70-200 f/4L USM | 50mm f/1.8 mk1 | 80mm f/1.8 USM | 430EXII x2

Re: Backup options

I use and recommend Acronis. It

+1 on acronis, although the newer stuff might be buggy based on reviews. Think I have 2011 version and never had a problem. A lot of people have. Kind of a tough call, but I
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Seeing as i
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Glad to meet a fellow rsync user. It does my primary backups on Linux, Windows, and Mac boxes (6 TB worth per day). I use the cwrsync server for Windows.

So, as someone who is not incredibly tech savy, is there a programs based version of rsync? If so where could I find it and what does it cost?

Also, I take it this rsync just creates a copy of the files that would look like it would if you copied and pasted? In other words you have usable files on the externals and you wouldnt need the program to access them like some backup programs.
    Gripped 7D | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | 70-200 f/4L USM | 50mm f/1.8 mk1 | 80mm f/1.8 USM | 430EXII x2

the way i use it is simple:

rsync -vrt --del ./Photos/ /mnt/ext/Photos/

All that does is a basic copy/paste:

any files that are not on my external drive get copied from my home directory,

and any files that are on my external drive that aren
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I would get Acronis Home Edition. I have been using Acronis for at least 8-10 years now and I can highly recommend it as well.

It has a very easy to use user interface. It is very flexible. Acronis has saved me many times in the past. You can set fullsystem restore images, backup only images, incremental backups for speed and to save drive space. You can also compress the image to save space. You can mount an image and copy files that you need and paste them to a different folder.

Some of Acronis' products also offer"bare metal system restore," in which you can restore your system to a different computer that has different hardware and it will run as a virtual computer.

Some of their more expensive offerings also support RAID, SQL Server and Shadow technology.

You canalso set schedules to back up in the middle of the night, you canbackup or exclude certainfolders. You can create offsite image archives. The only negative thing that I can say about them is that they don't offer aMac OSVersion.

You wont be sorry! I think they also offer a free trial.

Rich

I use both windows synctoy and macrium reflect. Both free, and therefore worth trying before shelling out.