Thread: Suggestions for good websites or books on lighting???

Suggestions for good websites or books on lighting???

I've got a pair of 430EXs and a ST-E2 and have gotten some great shots that appear to be ambient light shots (to me this is a good thing). Now, I'd like to explore a more professional approach.

Does anyonehave suggestions for good websites or bookson lighting?
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Re: Suggestions for good websites or books on lighting???

A great website is strobist.com, alot of techniques as well as on assignment examples.

Thanks

Joel

I agree with the above poster 100%. It's no secret here on TDP community that I'm a big believer in the stobist philosophies of getting big, beautiful light from those small shoe-mounted flashes. It really is the best thing you can do to improve the quality of your photography...

I'd also suggest joining the strobist group on Flickr. There, you can comb through the discussion threads and find answers to specific questions you may have that have probably already been asked and answered by the community. Also look at the pool to provide inspiration for your own photos.

A book that opened up my eyes a lot was Michael Grecco's Lighting and the Dramatic Portrait.

In the book he using some very expensive lighting butyou cn also apply this stuff to strobist type lighting.

I must warn you though, you will want to buy a grid for everything afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Bookhammer

A great website is strobist.com, alot of techniques as well as on assignment examples.

Thanks

Joel
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks, it's apretty interesting site.I just spent the last hour or so looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

A book that opened up my eyes a lot was Michael Grecco's Lighting and the Dramatic Portrait.

In the book he using some very expensive lighting butyou cn also apply this stuff to strobist type lighting.

I must warn you though, you will want to buy a grid for everything afterwards.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Cool, I'll look for it at Barnes and Noble next time I'm out.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Here's one of my favourites. Great series of videos on studio lighting - still a lot of very useful information even if you're just planning to use speedlites.

http://www.youtube.com/user/snapfactory

If you are looking to experiment with studio strobes, I bought this decent setup from B+H - a great inexpensive way to at least experiment with some of the stuff described in the videos.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/404508-REG/Impact_EX100A_2KII_Two_Monolight_Kit_.html

Here's another kit, if I had seen it earlier I likely would have purchased this one instead of the one from B+H.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-studio-flash-strobe-softbox-3-backdrops-more_W0QQitemZ360155550278QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPorta ble_Flashes_Strobes?hash=item53daf19246&amp;_trksi d=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&amp;_trkparms=|301%3A1|293%3A 1|294%3A30

http://www.zarias.com/