Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridal Portrait

Bridal Portrait

5D, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, ISO 100, 1/160, f6.3, 58mm, 580EXII in manual.
    Flash used as fill light measured with Sekonic L-358 FLASH METER.
    Taken at 12:20PM in bright sun light, P.S.Elements......what do you think? C&C more than welcome.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0107BWC.jpg[/img]
    Mark

Re: Bridal Portrait

I think the composition is a mess to be honest and the postprocessing to black&white with a touch or color is very (and I mean very very) dated and it will look even more dated a few years down the line. It cheapens the image if you ask me. It also draws my attention to the bouquet, where it should be drawn to the woman. It's a postprocessing 'trick' that doesn't add anything to the feel, emotion or content of the image.

ps: this, in no way, is meant in an offensive way.

I like the composition. Great use of fill flash, the exposure looks spot on. You can't tell that there's a harsh-noon sun. Also, the black & white really works for me...especially with the background. I actually like the black & white with a splash of color look as long as it's done in moderation. I would definitely provide both the color versions and plain black & white to the client so that they can decide what they like best.

For what it's worth, my wife (not a photographer) loved it

Quote Originally Posted by Madison

I think the composition is a mess to be honest and the postprocessing to black&white with a touch or color is very (and I mean very very) dated and it will look even more dated a few years down the line. It cheapens the image if you ask me. It also draws my attention to the bouquet, where it should be drawn to the woman. It's a postprocessing 'trick' that doesn't add anything to the feel, emotion or content of the image.

ps: this, in no way, is meant in an offensive way.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Madison,

If you did not want to be "offensive" then think how you should have worded your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob

If you did not want to be "offensive" then think how you should have worded your comments.

English is not my native language so I have trouble sometimes.

I do not think words like 'mess' or 'dated' or 'cheapens the image' are that offensive to be honest. They may not be nice to hear but it is an honest opinion of somebody. A matter of taste, if you will. I stand by my words and have no other ways of expressing this critique. Sorry. If you submit images in this forum you can expect the best, and the worst. I have been very positive about some work, and sometimes, like now, I have to be honest and say the negative as well.

I will leave it at this.

The words seemed a little hash but I posted it for the feedback. I am a big guy and can take it. I would like to hear more comments.

Bob, what do you think?

Mark
    Mark

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Clemmb<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]First, let&rsquo;s talk about the objective of your photo, are the flowers the object or is the bride?<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]If the flowers are then I would make this area larger, if not, then you need to separate the bride from the background &ndash; she needs to &ldquo;pop out&rdquo;.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]A way to do this (and there many), but separate the bride from the background via layers, for example, then make the background blurred or &ldquo;washed it out&rdquo;, or change the photo to a colored photo.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]This would help the bride to stand out more. Photoshop has these tools or you can use a &ldquo;plug-in&rdquo; to do a first class job.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]As the photo stands currently, the bride bends into the background.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<o><span style="font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Your thoughts?<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<o><span style="font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Bob<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<o></o>

I am by no means a professional but I have a friend that had a bridal photo treated like yours and it is awesome in print but in my novice eye maybe mute the flowers a bit so it doesnt pop so much the black and white in my opinion is timeless and should be a part of the optionspresented to your client and I agree with Bob in a little more subject background seperation via a subtle layer blur.....just my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]A way to do this (and there many), but separate the bride from the background via layers, for example, then make the background blurred or &ldquo;washed it out&rdquo;, or change the photo to a colored photo.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]This would help the bride to stand out more. Photoshop has these tools or you can use a &ldquo;plug-in&rdquo; to do a first class job.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]As the photo stands currently, the bride bends into the background.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

..or you shoot it properly at the right DOF to begin with? It saves you a lot of portprocessing and time.

I took the liberty of editing the image. Bare with me.

Even in total black &amp; white, with a different contrast to see more of the bride's face, and with vignetting to steer the viewer away from the background which has too much going on,.. I still have trouble with this image. Let me explain:

In the postprocessed version, you cannot help but look at the flowers because they are the only spot of colour. Not only does this make the flowers the immediate point of attention, it also makes them more or less the main subject of the photo. In that case, I would have taken a shot where the flowers were more prominent as a subject, not a blotch of color without much detail and with too many distractions. When you shoot or postproces you have to know what you want to show people. In the case of the original photo: it is not the bride (because the flowers grab all the attention) nor is it the flowers (there is not enough information there to satisfy me as a viewer after you draw my attention to them by adding color). You know what I mean? (Again: I am having trouble desribing this in a language that is not my own).

That postprocessing choice is effects only. What does it really add? In my honest opinion, apart from color, not much. Is that enough? I vote no. This is a bride on one of the biggest days of her life. Adding stuff like this should be done with care and function and is often not even necessary if you ask me.

What is left when the effects are gone? Does that make the picture better? In my opinion that leaves us with a picture of somebody who is not making contact with the camera, in a staged position/mindframe that doesn't do much in terms of emotion. It's better though because (after some contrast tweaks) I am looking at the bride, who I think should be the subject of the picture instead of her colored flowers. However, even despite adding a mild vignette, she is still in surroundings that have loads and loads of lines that conflict with each other. That still gives this image something 'restless' (what I called messy). Read up on rules of thirds and lines and symmetry: you'll see what I mean. There's too much going on.

That is the bigger version of my critique.

Please note that I am just one person with one opinion and I mean this in the best possible way. Had I loved this picture I would have shouted it from the rooftops. I mean you no harm whatsoever. I was trained in art school, went on to become an art director and as such graded thousands of pictures of hundreds of photographers over the last few years. I may simply be overly critical.

My first thought it that I would have moved her to the left a bit, so that her head was over the middle of the three doorways. Primary reason being color balance. The tone of her skin blends in a bit too much with the background. Or maybe if her veil had been spread out a bit to the right to provide some contrast.

Also, I probably would have gone with red roses, but that might have been a cusotmer preferance (and I suspect accurate to what she was really holding).

Those who things said I like it overall and, personally, I think using black and white may have worked better due to her skin tone (do you have a color version?).