Thread: Canon EOS Rebel XTi front focusing issue

Canon EOS Rebel XTi front focusing issue

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Hello everybody!<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]I have this Rebel XTi which appears to be severely front focusing. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]I bought it new 3 years ago as my first SLR. I can tell you I felt it had this focusing problem from the day one. Well back than I did not have enough experience to identify the problem and I thought maybe the kit lens is not that good. Then I thought, well maybe the Tamron 17-50 2.8 is not good either. And then I convinced myself the DOF of my Canon 50 1.4 is too shallow even stopped down a bit. You need not pixel peep your photos I was telling myself. Well until I picked up a <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]Canon 10-22 and a 70-200 F4 IS L which both gave me less than staller IQ for the majority of the pictures taken.

I got curious, what if I adjust a focusing ring a bit&hellip; and voila &ndash; tack sharp images. Ran numerous experiments with different subjects under the different lightning and everywhere the same tendency &ndash; whether AF of MF (lens at its widest obviously), should I tweak focusing ring a bit towards infinity pictures come out perfectly sharp.

Long story short Canon wants $210 for repairs, local camera repair shop asks $290 which is a complete rip-off. I strongly believe there should be a software method for such calibration since such capability is built in into modern Canon DSLRs.

Does anybody have a suggestion how I can tackle this problem without paying 70-80% cost of this body?

Thanks!<o></o>

Re: Canon EOS Rebel XTi front focusing issue

I'm no expert, but I haven't heard of anything for the xti body.

You're right though, the newer DSLRs have the calibration user changeable.

Sadly though, I think you might be out of luck.

Sorry,

Rodger

Re: Canon EOS Rebel XTi front focusing issue

Your out of luck, you will have to send in your XTI to have it focus calibrated if you want to fix the your front focus issue.