Thread: Would welcome any critiques....

Would welcome any critiques....

Playing around with my new 50D andEF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. Fantastic lens...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x400/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.32/IMG_5F00_0637.jpg[/img]

Re: Would welcome any critiques....

I like the first budding of spring as a subject. I like the muted colors. I like how the the background flower.contributes to the image. I like the negative space at the bottom of the image and the blurred background. The dark on right provides a nice contrast to the bright on the left. Details such as the texture are difficult to appreciate in such a small image, but I bet the hairs are interesting as well.

I think the image would be improved by moving the main subject off center, such as the rule of thirds. Retaining the highlights on the flower instead of letting them blow out would be an improvement. I think it would benefit from less branch and more flower. A closer background flower would have been interesting I think. A tigher composition on just the flower and one or two other elements would have been interesting. Perhaps some more colors that are complimentary to the tones of the flower.

Crop closer to show more flower, you clipped the highlight on the white..this can be avoided by viewing the histogram and adjusting the Exposure Compensation to minus 1/3 to 2/3

Thank you for the feedback, points taken and appreciated...