Thread: 430EXII Slave question

430EXII Slave question

I have a 430EXII and 580EXII flash. I want to use the 430 on a tripod, fire it remotely via the 580 (I don't want to buy anything else unless it's under$50) but not have the 580 fire. Is this possible?
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 01-06-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: I edited the title
    --

Yes, you can use a 580EX II as a master to trigger a 430EX II as a slave, without the 580 firing during the exposure. Press the Zoom button on the flash so that you see the blinking 'on' then turn the dial to show 'off', then press Set. Note that the 580's master function is optical - you'll see the on-camera flash fire as a preflash which signals the slave flash(es), but the on-camera flash won't fire during the exposure.

I'd also recommend checking to see if your camera can control the 580 via its own menus. If so, that will make setting the 580 the way you want it much easier, if for no other reason than you'll have words rather than icons. Sometimes it can be a part of an icon that appears/disappears to signify a settings change on the flash, whereas the camera will have the choices laid out in a much better flow.

I must be doing something wrong. I'm trying 2 differenet scenarios.

1:
    I have my 580 on a tripod, my 7D's builtin flash set according to this document and the builtin flash still goes off and it is affecting the photo as it's casting a direct shadow but my 580 does go off.

2: I have my 580 on the 7D and 430 on the tripod, I cannot get just the 430 to flash... what am I doing wrong?
    --

In both cases the flash on camera needs to fire to communicate to the off camera flash. Assuming you have your settings correct, the on camera flash will fire before the exposure, and won't contribute light to the actual shot. I think, but I don't remember where I read it, that in some simpler modes, the camera ignores your menu setting and will fire the builtin flash anyway. The on camera setting is in the first menu, at the bottom, Flash Control, then Built-in flash func, then Wireless func, then the 3rd option, with only one icon... not the + nor the :. Once set, everything below the firing group option will be grey, except the external flash exposure compensation, since there is nothing else to set.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I have the 60D. Not sure if the feature set is the same on the 7D, but I can fire my 430 II without the built in flash also firing.The setting is located in Menu>Flash control>Built-in flash fun.setting>Wireless func. Like you, my 430 II was on a tripod and I confirmed visually that the internal flash did not fire.

I've tried with my 7D. Built-in definitely fires, but doesn't contribute. I used Av, set to Exp. Comp. -2 to drop the background down low, then fired a series of shot of Cagney on the couch, lit from various angles. Worked like a charm... I was using the 600EX-RT in optical slave mode.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I figured out what I was doing wrong, the builtin does flash but you are right it does not affect the photo. I have both scenarios figured out now. I just need to get a subject now to test it out on.

Thanks everyone.
    --

430EXII Slave question

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    I figured out what I was doing wrong, the builtin does flash but you are right it does not affect the photo.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Note that the 580's master function is optical - you'll see the on-camera flash fire as a preflash which signals the slave flash(es), but the on-camera flash won't fire during the exposure.
    That applies to the built-in as well.