Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSLR kit needed for work place trip

DSLR kit needed for work place trip

I work at a college, and each year they take soem students out to Sierra Leone in Africa.

The first time I went and had my DSLR kit, secodn trip another teacher had a decent kit, this trip they don't have anyone going with a DSLR kit, and they know the difference in quality when they look at all the photos after.

Anyway, they want a kit to take with them with a budget of only £500.

The only one I can think of would be a 1000D with a lens kit, along with a 16GB memory card & bag.
    I can get all this for just over £400.

It would have to be a new kit, and not something off ebay etc.

So if anyone has any other ideas as to what they could take out there, please let me know. Even if its anythind additional you think should be added.

Re: DSLR kit needed for work place trip

What will be your primary subjects? You might be a different answer for landscapes, people, architecture, or wildlife...

If you do buy the kit, I suggest trying to get the 55-250, it will come in handy.

You might consider a rental instead of purchasing.

Well they should mostly be taking photos of people, maybe the odd few scenic shots. The people going this time are not very 'photography literate', so to have one lens on the camera, and to keep that lens on would be ideal. The Canon EF 28-135mm would be perfect, but out of the price range for the entire kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleko

Well they should mostly be taking photos of people, maybe the odd few scenic shots. The people going this time are not very 'photography literate', so to have one lens on the camera, and to keep that lens on would be ideal. The Canon EF 28-135mm would be perfect, but out of the price range for the entire kit.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

If the people who will be using the camera aren't very "photography literate" like you say, then I don't see the advantage of sending an SLR with them. An SLR in ignorant hands will not producesuperb images;you'd probably be better offgiving them amid to high end point and shoot (and the point and shoot will be much easier to use).

If you do indeed require an SLR, then try renting a good quality kit (with insurance). For that kind of money, the group could travel with a top-notch camera with a good all-pupose lens attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleko

....so to have one lens on the camera, and to keep that lens on would be ideal.

Another reason to keep the lens on is African dust. If you are there during dry season you don't want to take a lens off - ever! I had red African dust appearing inthe viewfinder of my old OM10 years after my African trips. If the people using the camera aren't camera savvy, perhaps a good quality P&amp;S might be better? The Canon G series are almost up to DSLR quality.

Quote Originally Posted by cian3307

If the people using the camera aren't camera savvy, perhaps a good quality P&amp;S might be better? The Canon G series are almost up to DSLR quality.

I would go for a nice G11 or something. Quality is pretty good and perhaps not much worse or evenly compared with an entry level DSLR with cheap lens. Also lightconditions in Africa shouldn't be a problem as well, so you don't need fast apertures or something. A G11 also delivers RAW files if you need more pixels to work with. You don't need to change lenses, got IS over all focal range and you could use the camera at parties at work later []

Cian3307 and Sean in my opinion it's a great advice!

Ps dpreview for canon G11:http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/

Cheers for the input guys, will definately look into the G series cameras.

You're welcome.

Looking forward to see what the results are gonna be []