I bought a new ProSpec (Calumet) 8GB UDMA compact flash card yesterday and shot all day with it today. There were a few times when it seemed like the camera was taking longer than usual to write to the card, but that may have been my imagination. Then I noticed on reviewing images that one was completely gray, and I shrugged that off. Later, every 10th image or so came up with a notice I've never seen: "Unable to view image." I turned the camera off and put it down for about 5 minutes. Then I shot two more images.

When I got home, there were only two images on the card: the last two I had shot.

The first card I used (a SanDisk Extreme IV that I've used for a couple of years) seems fine...so I figure the problem is just a bad card. However, there were some fantastic images on it, and I can't recreate the event (baseball game) and I would really, really like to recover the images.

I tried software called Photorescue and it didn't even find the two images. Simply looking in the finder window on my computer, with the card connected via USB reader, shows tons of files with all sorts of unintelligible names.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Jeff