Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Question

Stupid Question

Could anyone tell and or explain what HDR is. I see this topic appearing many times in the Forum section, but do not know what is really is. Thanks for your feedback.
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Re: Stupid Question

You've heard of ADHD, right? It's Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. HDR is Hyperactivity Disorder Redux: a style of photography that shows a lot of energy but tends to lack a single point of focus.

[]

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    HDR is Hyperactivity Disorder Redux: a style of photography that shows a lot of energy but tends to lack a single point of focus.

LOL. I agree completely [:H]

Very funny Daniel.

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. I don't know the details but I think it's basically a mode of shooting that shows more vibrant colors, in short.

brendan

First of all....there are no stupid questions []there are only stupid answers [:P]

I'll try to explain a little about the HDR, which I just recently discovered. HDR means high dynamic range. Well that's about it!

The image you get from your own eye has a way higher dynamic range than the image your camera can produce. You see much more difference between black and total white. I don't really know if I state this all correctly, but it comes down to this. When you look at somebody standing in front of a window, you can identify this person. Then you take a picture, and the entire person (based on your metering) will be a silhouette or the entire background will be wiped white-out. The camera cannot see the dynamic range you get with your eye. Therefor you'll shoot multiple photos varying from underexposed to overexposed. The pcprogram or whatever you use will blend these together so you'll get detail in the shadows as well in de highlights. This is called HDR. HDR also brings a bit unnatural look, because of the shadows lighting up and the highlights stopping down. This is also a fact why it is so loved. You can create very nice colored beautifull pictures with it.

Hope I made it a bit clear. I kinda have the need to type a lot...[:P]

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

I don't know the details but I think it's basically a mode of shooting that shows more vibrant colors, in short.

Nope...that is what it is misused for and loved for a lot [:P] But the basic is something else. It is one of the effects you can get though. But you can also create real-life HDRs

Thanks for that explanation Daniel.

Now how does HDR is Hyperactivity Disorder Redux: a style of photography that shows a lot of energy but tends to lack a single point of focus works. Please note that I'm reasonably new to photography and I'm still learning.[I]

Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

HDR means High Dynamic Range. Unlike the human eye, your camera sensors are limited on the amount of dynamic range that it can record. Basically, Dynamic range is the varying degree of light you can record at specific camera settings. For example:in normal photographyif you expose to capture a bright orange sunset, then the landscape in the forground will be solid black; or if you expose for the forground then the sunset will be blown out. So. High Dynamic Range photography is when you take multiple exposures of the same image at different exposure levels and then combine those images with special software. Thisallows you to see the darker details of the foreground without losing thebright rich colors of the example sunset.----With all of that said, this technique takes practice. If you are interested in learning more there are several websites that can help----including this one. I would suggest visting the Photomatix website at http://www.hdrsoft.com/ this is the software that many people use for thier HDR photography. It also has a trial download available and a much better explaination of HDR than the one I provided.

By the way, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. My guess is that almost everyone on this forum has asked the same question at least once in thier photography career, so you keep asking questions.

Good luck,

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. I don't know the details but I think it's basically a mode of shooting that shows more vibrant colors, in short.

In a nutshell, that's it. Here's my attempt at a rundown:

You camera can only perceive a certain range of highlights and shadows - This is what's called dynamic range - The overall range of "brightness" that your camera can record, typically 7-9 stops. Anything that is out of your camera's dynamic range is recorded as pitch black (shadows) or blown white (highlights).

HDR is a technique used in digital photography to expand dynamic range beyond the native 7-9 stop range of your camera. You can record 2 or more images at different exposure settings of the same scene. Using your camera's auto exposure bracketing function, you can shoot 3 images of different exposure settings in a quick burst. Once you have captured the images, you can merge them all together in a program like Photoshop and Photomatix to form an HDR image. Imagine your editing software layering each of the differently-exposed images on top of each other, like a sandwich. First, it puts on the dark image, then the lighter one, then another, etc, and after a short processing time, you are left with an image with a very high dynamic range. Get it?

This technique is frequently employed in landscape and architectural photography. HDR is especially useful in capturing a scene while maintaining detail in the dark shadows as well as in the bright highlights. In architectural photography, HDR is useful for shooting indoors while maintaining detail in the bright highlights out a window, for example.

I would highly suggest using a tripod when shooting high dynamic range images - This will keep your framing consistent and will result in sharper images than without using a tripod. Also, adjust the look of your HDR images to personal taste - Most HDR software provides you with options to tweak your image to match what you have in mind. For instance, I prefer images that do not look like processed HDR images - I always strive for more "real" looking images. I'm not saying I'm perfect - Many of my HDR images are very "artificial"-looking.

Enjoy this cool photographic technique. Shoot, shoot, shoot, and have fun.

- Alex

Alright I just made a quickie HDR.

1st picture is AVmode +- 0 exposure compensation

Here you can see or can't see much detail at the bottom of the mill, due to the shadow. Sun shines from the left hand. Also there isn't a lot of detail in the highlights.

picture 2: AVmode Underexposed 2 stops:

This picture is for making details in the clouds and the highlight light up.

3rd picture: AV-mode +2 stops exposure

This picture will help you get more details out of your shadow areas.

I used Photomatix software to create the HDR. It's not alligned and quickly done, so you might see that.

As you can see there is more detail in the shadow and highlight areas. The middle section of the mill which was in total shadow is now nicely seen as a roof with redish tiles. Don't mind my English please. Also the colors are a little pushed, that's what Brendan already said. It's an option which is common for HDR photos, these where just the quick settings from the program.

I hope it's clearer now. HDR is about taking a picture where your camera can't take the full picture. Mostly you make 3 or more pictures with different exposures and then put them all together in a photoprogram like photoshop, Photomatix, paintshop etc etc.

Good luck![Y]

Jan