Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50D with battery grip question

50D with battery grip question

I have the battery grip attached to my 50D with 17 -55 lens. I don't like how the camera leans forward onto the lens when I set it down. What is the best way to lay my camera down if I don't have easy access to my bag?
    Jeremy (Cytoman)

Re: 50D with battery grip question

I have a battery grip on my XTi and 5D. I lay them on the left side when I set them down.

Mark
    Mark

Or you could lay it on the backside. Get a plastic protector for your LCD screen and you'll be good. Basically anything that doesn't put stress on the lens-to-camera mount will be good.

I highly suggest an LCD protector from ZAGG called the Invisible Shield. I use it on just about every device I own that has an LCD, and none have ever sustained so much as a scratch. The only thing they don't protect against is blunt trauma that would crack an LCD.

First, I have to second Sean, since I tried one on my 50D, everything I have with a screen gets a Zagg.

To your original question, I have the same combo with the EW-83J hood and have found the best resting position to be on the left side also. It was a small issue at first, but that appears to be the best solution.

I purchased the grip after the EF 70-200mm IS USM to add balance and the extra battery. I have been very pleased with both. It greatly improved the "feel" with that lens attached and the extra weight to me is more than offset by the balance gained. In addition the battery life seems more than doubled using two batteries.

Merry Christmas,

Chris

The lens mount is one of the strongest parts of your camera/lens combination.

Just put it down any way you like.

What don't you like about the way it leans forward? It's going to be more stable that way then if set on it's back. Setting it down won't cause damage - having it knocked from whatever surface it's on to the floor below almost certainly will!

If you're concerned about stress on the mount or lens, don't be. Asapersson850states, the mount is strong - moreover, the bayonet mount is radially symmetrical, so it supports in any direction; the pull of gravity (weight) on the lens is stronger than the force on the lens mount when you set it down.

I have the 17-55mm (with hood) on a T1i with a grip - I simply set it down 'rightside up' and let it lean.

I concur with neuroanatomist and apersson850 on this. The lens mount is extremely strong - it has to be to accommodate and carry some heavy lenses. The mount is designed for those greater carrying stresses so those lesser resting stresses are really a non-issue. []

I don't think the lens mount is the issue. I think the greatest concern is the part where the lens extends. I think excess pressure on that particular moving part could damage it, but I think it would take quite a bit of force to do it. I simply don't know, though...

I agree the mount is durable enough. I always have a lens shade on my lenses and do not like the feel of resting it on them even though it probably will not hirt them. I also always have a tripod quick mount on my cameras so they will not stand up straight anyway. I lay them down on the left side. Works great, is stable and does not damage anything.

Mark
    Mark