Thread: vertical grip

vertical grip

just bought myself a new(to me) vertical grip for my XTi. i think i'm going to love it. quick question, does it take power from one battery and then automatically switch to the other battery or do i need to switch the batteries myself? thanks!

Re: vertical grip

It'll pull from both until they're gone... no manual switching.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsartin

just bought myself a new(to me) vertical grip for my XTi. i think i'm going to love it. quick question, does it take power from one battery and then automatically switch to the other battery or do i need to switch the batteries myself? thanks!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Neither. Both. I mean, it'll draw power semi-evenly from both batteries. If you get a low battery indication, you have two low batteries, unfortunately. That said, I've gotten a lot of shots from an XTi battery so just keep an eye on the battery indicator and you'll be fine.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

but if you bought a knock off one thats not made by canon(like mine), then it might read it as low but its actually not. Mine says low almost all the time but its not actually. It really does not bother me though.

that's what i did, i bought a third party. but for $75 as opposed to $220, i can live with a low battery bar. i've got plenty of spares

It will also run with only one installed when you want to save the weight and get the benefits of the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog
    It will also run with only one installed when you want to save the weight and get the benefits of the grip.

Exactly. So if you don't like the "draw from both" effect, just use one till it is low, then switch.

Quote Originally Posted by mpphoto12

but if you bought a knock off one thats not made by canon(like mine), then it might read it as low but its actually not. Mine says low almost all the time but its not actually. It really does not bother me though.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I sometimes get this with my BG-E2N. If I take it off then firmly push it back and tighten it it seems to resolve the low battery indicator. Very strange none the less.

Charlie.