Thread: Got my 17-55

Got my 17-55

So after much thought, some great advice from the guys here and a long wait I finally got a 17-55 2.8 last week. What a difference. The images it produces are infinitely better than the kit lens.

Here's a couple of my fist picyures with it

Xsi + 17.55

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.33/IMG_5F00_3003ab1.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.33/IMG_5F00_3038a1.JPG[/img]

Cheers

Re: Got my 17-55

Nice shots, Jake. Congrats on your new lens - it's a beauty! If you haven't already, you might want to consider getting the appropriate hood for it - it offers a little extra protection, both physically and optically (from flare), and can also increase contrast a bit when shooting outdoors.

I liked the first one, very nice shot!

I support neuro's post on hood and recommend you buy filter as well - for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by alex_sb
    recommend you buy filter as well

If you do get a UV or clear protection filter, make sure it's a good quality filter. I use B+W MRC filters, but the high-end Hoya filters (Super HMC) are also good - these filters won't affect the optical quality of your images. Putting a cheap UV filter on an excellent lens is a bad idea, IMO.

The first shot is wonderful. I love the way the colors go together.

Enjoy your lens!

I second the recommendation for a high quality filter. I've had cheap filters degrade my images in the past, now I buy only B+W.

(There may be good cheap ones, I just don't know what they are )

Nice shots Jake, Neuro has me considering the 17-55 as well and so far your results are aiding my decision.

Your photos are fantastic! Congrats on the new glass! You're going to love it, it's one of my favorites!! [Y]

Denise

Thanks guys. I'm glad you like the shots.I got the hood with the lens and as of yesterday I now have a filter as well. I got the Hoya HD UV because I couldn't seem to find a B+W (apparently they are having some manufacturing problems). The Hoya is nearly as expensive though so hopefully it'll be ok.