Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Purpose lens for $1,000 or less?

General Purpose lens for $1,000 or less?

I currently have a Rebel XT, Speedlite 580exII, Sigma 28-70 f/2.8, and a Canon 50mm f/1.8.

I love my XT, but my Sigma lens is driving me crazy. I'm not sure if I've gotten a sharp shot out of it in the 3 years I've owned it, and now that I'm getting more serious (and have a bit more spending money), I'd love to upgrade it.

I shoot mostly landscapes and portraits, thinking about trying to do some senior photo shoots for some extra cash this summer.

I tend to shoot most of my shots of people at the wider end. Some of my favorite shots are full or half body portrats at 40mm (on a 1.6x) or wider. A quick glance through my adobe bridge showed that I rarely hit the 70mm mark on my Sigma.

With that said, the other day I did use my wife's 70-200mm kit Nikon lens for some portraits that turned out nicely.

I love the framing that wider lens give, but I love the bokeh that longs lens give. Is there any way to combine the best of both worlds?

Edit: I'm looking at both the 17-55 EF-S and the 15-85 EF-S. Any opinions on the difference? The extra length and lower price is appetizing on the 15-88, but the 2.8 also looks nice for the 17-55.

Re: General Purpose lens for $1,000 or less?

I'd recommend theEF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens- it's really the ideal 'general purpose' zoom for 1.6x crop cameras. That's especially true since you prefer the wider end of your Sigma. The difference between 24mm and 17mm on a crop body is very substantial - it will really make a difference for your landscape shots. The f/2.8 aperture will also produce some nice OOF blur and the quality of the bokeh (which I think you mean instead of 'borak').

55mm on a 1.6x crop is equivalent to 85mm on full frame - 85mm is the 'classic' portrait length. For something tighter, a great head/shoulders portrait lens on a crop body is theEF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens- that plus the 17-55mm would exceed your budget, though. But for starters, the 17-55mm will be a great, versatile lens. I've got quite a few lenses, including several L lenses, but the 17-55mm is the one that's on my 7D most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by realityinabox
    but my Sigma lens is driving me crazy

I hate a lot of Sigma lenses. When I pay for a discount lens, I'm looking for a cheaper alternative that still retains some quality. Sigma lets this fall by the wayside. Many of their lenses don't AF correctly, come with foreign objects, etc. I am firmly of the opinion that If I'm paying $1k for a lens it better work properly and that's where many Sigma lenses fail. Anyway, now that I've ranted about Sigma I'll try to answer your question [8-|]

Since you like wide portraits, here are some options:

17-55 f/2.8L IS USM. This is considered by many to be the best general purpose lens for 1.6 bodies. It's sharp, fast, has IS, is wide, and isn't too big. About $1000.

16-35 f/2.8L USM. You lose IS and telephoto reach but this is a better option if you plan on going fullframe in the future. $1500

If you like the focal length of the Sigma (but hate the lens) the Canon 24-70L is the lens for you.

Most people would probably recommend the 17-55. Try renting the lenses from lensrentals.com and decide which you like better.

love the framing that wider lens give, but I love the borak that longs lens give. Is there any way to combine the best of both worlds?

Not really. Tight portraits and wide portraits require two lenses IMO. A good strategy would be to first get a general purpose zoom like the ones above and then a 135 f/2 prime that'll give you the long portrait reach at 1/2 the cost of the 70-200 f/2.8 AND it'd be twice as fast.

Good Luck!

brendan

With that said, the other day I did use my wife's 70-200mm kit Nikon lens for some portraits that turned out nicely.

I love the framing that wider lens give, but I love the borak that longs lens give. Is there any way to combine the best of both worlds?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

If you want relatively good image quality, no. For a general purpose lens on a crop-sensor camera within your budget, I'd strongly suggest the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. That particular lens is generally regarded as producing images comparable to "L" glass. I own six lenses--three zooms and three primes. Out of all those lenses, the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS stays on my primary camera three-times more than any other. Overall, it's simply the best general-purpose lens (for a crop-sensor body) that produces superb images.

If you want to see images I've taken with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, click here.

Later, if you find you still want a longer focal length, take a good look at the 70-200mm f/4 L--it's one of the best bang-for-buck zooms that money can buy.

One more vote for the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. Seems like the obvious choice given your requirements.

Another vote for the 17-55mm!! BTW - Just a couple days ago, someone on this site just posted one for sale in mint condition...you may be able to save some $!

Denise

Get the 15-85mm it provides great image quality, fairly inexpensive, and the extra reach is very useful.

The 17-55 is over your budget; but if you can afford it, than get it.

I had the same decision to make as you.

I got the 17-55two daysago for my Xsihaving taken the advice of the people here and It's every bit as good as they say. Just amazing!

The only thing I'm worried about with the 17-55 is that I'd miss the extra reach. While I don't go up to 70 often, I do enjoy the option.

This is why I'm leaning towards the 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6. According to the review, the IQ is comparable to the 17-55, but you get the extra reach. Any thoughts on the two lenses?

The 15-85 has a lot of distortion and vignetting and is four times as slow as the 17-55. The 17-55 is a far superior lens.