Thread: Studio @ Home: Improvement ?

Studio @ Home: Improvement ?

I recently shot a "yearbook photo" session of headshots and 'studio shots' for a friend as part of her senior pictures. I went with a pretty basic and safe S@H setup, but I'm wondering if you can see any way I can improve on my setup.

I've included the set up video and the final photo (run through LR2 and retouched slightly in CS4).

Strobist info: Canon 430 EXII @ 1/8 shot through 43" white umbrella at 45 degrees to subject. Fill is from a nearby wall.

Don't hold back on critique, or tips.

(I do have pictures where she is smiling, but I still have to finish editing those) Thanks!

edit: Added the setup shot. Forgot I had that as well as the video. (Video doesn't embed)

Re: Studio @ Home: Improvement ?

I really like it Rodger. I don't see any issues I think need improving. I love how the wrinkles in the background become a decorative element in the background.

Thanks Sean! The background is actually something I leaned while shadowing at Portrait Innovations last year.

It is a really good looking shot but if you want just a little CC:

Use a little more light on in the room so here pupils aren't so large.

I think the light underneath on the jaw line is a little harsh and unnatural. It also lighting the underside of her nose and not hitting her upper lip and causing a little mustache like shadow. Maybe tilt the reflector then it will soften that shadow and fill her neck and her right (on our left) eye a bit.

nice job overall...

Seems a bit underexposed and as Keith mentioned, if you could add more fill light that might even things out a bit. One thing I've been trying to focus on (no pun intended) is bringing the light source closer to the subjet... I mean like just out of camera rangewithout getting lensflare. Its supposed to soften up the lightnot to mention yourreflectorwould be a little more effective.

Here's a HS homecoming shoot I did at a friends house using a single strobe (430EX) at 1/2 power and a shoot thru umbrella... it was done near dusk in his patio so towards the end, it was quite dark and I had lots of trouble getting it to auto focus.No reflectors and outdoors so nota great comparison but you can seeon some of the shots, the single strobe angle and higher power hada lotto do with getting a nice shotevenwithout a reflector... some shots had too much shadow whereas some look really nice.

Here's two examples... I think the first one is fine but the second one of the two girls has too much shadow...

Both shots just out of focus as I mentioned and are now 'freebies' on my flickr site. I had 11 kids to shoot in 30 minutes... It was mainly for the group shots but we managed toget 1 hr inand get a quite a few single/couples poses in. Here's a link to the flickr shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9612659@N08/sets/72157622354127187/detail/

the group shots used two 600W soft boxes so nevermind those. Keep in mind I'm pretty new at this also and am still trying to figure stuff out. I need to focus on lighting, better bokeh, and cropping, then maybe I can start charging more [:P]

The 'keepers' are on my pay site... http://10framesasecond.exposuremanager.com/g/basha_homecoming_2009

Hope this helps out or gives you some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    Use a little more light on in the room so here pupils aren't so large.

I never would have thought of that. Good call! I could put another lamp in the room I guess. Just like aimed at the ceiling so it only raises ambient without actually effecting the exposure on her?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I think the light underneath on the jaw line is a little harsh and unnatural. It also lighting the underside of her nose and not hitting her upper lip and causing a little mustache like shadow. Maybe tilt the reflector then it will soften that shadow and fill her neck and her right (on our left) eye a bit.

I'm not too fond of the reflector I used actually. I think it was intended to be molded into a snoot. (came in the intructionless DIY kit from Rosco.) So I will be using a white poster board from now on with some tilt as you suggested to get the nice, even lighting.

Thanks for the replies and tips! I put it in the "image critique" forum intentionally! your feedback is very much appriciated.