Thread: Canon TS-E choice

Canon TS-E choice

Hello to all,

I've read the different reviews on the site, but I'm still hesitating for the right TS-E lens.

This is aimed at (both) architecture and products (packshots), on a FF (5D mk II)

Apart from the 17 and 24 (II), out of my budget, the choice is now between 24 (I), 45 and 90mm

90mm seems very good for products, and 24 is better for archi (wider).

Can someon share some experience on theses two lenses (and also the 45mm ... a compromise ?) :

- in term of sharpness

- in term of versatility

- in your opinion

Thanks a lot

p.s. a stupid question : why none of theses lenses have AF ???

Re: Canon TS-E choice

Quote Originally Posted by Tabazan

p.s. a stupid question : why none of theses lenses have AF ???

The tilting and the shifting alter the way the focal plane relates to the sensor plane (which is the point of a TS-E lens) - since the AF sensor is in the same optical plane as the image sensor, tilt/shift also affects the way the focal plane falls on the AF sensor, rendering AF useless. So, it's not even built into the lenses.

Re: Canon TS-E choice

I lucked into the 24mm mkI, the only TS I have ever seen on Craigs. It works with the 1.4 extender giving me 33.6mm as well. TS wide open (f/3.5 in my case) is more about blur and creative effects (as soon as you tilt) than sharpness. I have not stopped it down on a tripod to explore the sharper range in a architectural application, but suspect IQ is what drives those spendy versions wherein the 24mm mkI is not highly regarded or engineered to the same level.

TS is pretty esoteric for most, I would consider renting (if you can) the 24mm MkII before you decide if ANY TS lens is for you. Check my post for quite a few TS shots and mixed reactions from the community here. paid $750 mint BTW.

-Shea