Thread: Canon XS will not turn on anymore!

Canon XS will not turn on anymore!

One day I was using my camera perfectly well. There were no issues. I set it down and came back to it a few hours later. After that it would turn on, focus, but not take the shot. I would press the shutter release and it would focus, but when I press the release the entire way it will not take a shot. When I take the lens off and the battery out and replace both it will take one shot and then resume its previous problems. Also during this entire time (from when it starting giving me issues) the LCD screen never turns on. That was two days ago while I was in Seattle. Now that I have returned home, it will not even turn on at all.

I was thinking maybe it was a firmware issue. But with the camera not turning on at all, I cannot update the firmware. Can any of you think of any possible avenues to remedy this issue (besides taking it down to Canon Services)?

Thanks for any advice, guidance, suggestions you all may have.

Re: Canon XS will not turn on anymore!

Perhaps your camera thinks you took enough self-portrait [] No seriouslyI have no idea, but you might take your memory card out and have your lens removed. That way some of the electrical connections are cut off and if the problem is in those connections you'll notice it.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Perhaps your camera thinks you took enough self-portrait [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

I do need to find other people to shoot...with my camera, but only if it will get better!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    No seriouslyI have no idea, but you might take your memory card out and have your lens removed. That way some of the electrical connections are cut off and if the problem is in those connections you'll notice it.

That didn't do it, but I going to recharge both batteries COMPLETELY. But I doubt it is that because I recharged them about a week before I had the issues and I rarely charge my batteries since I am using the battery grip which allows me to go a while without charging. We will see. Thanks Sheiky!

I think your camera's main circuit board is jacked up, time for a short trip to Canon Irvine.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

I think your camera's main circuit board is jacked up, time for a short trip to Canon Irvine.

Yeah I was afraid of that. Even though I said I was at home, I am not home in SoCal yet. I am at my parent's retirement house in Southern Oregon and am on a photo trip. I was shooting Elk, Elephant Seals, and Condors earlier in the trip on my way up here. On my way back I was hoping to get some shots of the Sierra Nevada Bighorn Sheep along the 395. I guess that will just have to wait.

Remove the grip ind install the battery direct into the camera, if you haven't tried already. Also remove the lithium cell and then replace or reinstallit. Lastly, do a camera reset just in case something strange got into your settings.

Its more than likely a camera issue, but check those things anyway.