Thread: How to get an emergency backup photographer for a wedding?

How to get an emergency backup photographer for a wedding?

Hi all,

I am new to my city and new to wedding photography, so I don't really know that many other photographers. I am starting to book weddings for next summer, but like having a backup camera body, I know it is necessary to have a back up photographer (not a second shooter) lined up incase the unthinkable happens on the client's big day and I can't make it.

Problem is, I don't really know where to go to find a good backup shooter. Are there specific associations or forums that allow for these types of contacts to be made? I live in Michigan if that helps at all.

Re: How to get an emergency backup photographer for a wedding?

Hmm very good question. I have no idea.

I would check out local photographers. Perhaps some local photocommunities and clubs. But you really need to have good understandings, since at the worst of times you could have to call them the morning they need to shoot [A] And obviously you must like their work and be certain you can forward them to your clients, quality-wise.

Pff that's one hard quest for you. I have to shoot some weddings this year, but I never thought about that...

Re: How to get an emergency backup photographer for a wedding?

Unless you are shooting small weddings I would not recommend shooting alone. There are many reasons for this. It is difficult to be in two places at the same time. A second shooter can capture a different element of the wedding and reception. If the second shooter is of the opposite sex its even better because he/she can get in places the other can't. Like bride and bridesmaids dressing for example. If you are a male a female often adds a touch of feminism from her style that you may not possess. You will also double the amount of pictures you can offer the bride and groom. A second shooter is not expensive since they are there to shoot only, leaving you all the editing work to be done later. A second shooters persona may mix well with guests, family, if yours doesn't. A second shooter allows you the primary, to spend much more time with the bride and groom capturing more pictures of them while not missing other shots. The additional vantage point of a second shooter rounds out the completeness of the shoot especially if they wander while you are focusing on the B&G.

I would look for a second shooter at local colleges with a photography curriculum. They are eager for work to expand their portfolio and are hungry students who need everything. You can look over their work, talk about what your expectations are, etc. Each of you needs two bodies, several memory cards, multiple lenses, multiple flash units, as back ups so the day can not be lost.

Tom