Thread: Identity Group Sign web project

Identity Group Sign web project

The VP of Marketing for the company I work for, Identity Group, wanted me to photograph our company sign because it was recently updated. He wanted to replace the image found on this page.

The new sign looks quite a bit better than the old sign. However, it's still not an easy thing to photograph well. The problem is that light never hits the face of the sign. That's why every shot we had of the previous sign had an over exposed ambient with a shadowed, lifeless-looking sign. Well, I knew I could do better.

First, I threw a circular polarizer on my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. Unfortunately, the sun was not positioned 90 degrees from me so its effect was minimal (but noticeable). I used an aperture that let me bring the ambient down a little. Then I used 2 Vivitar 285HVs, full power, shooting at the sign from below to give it some life and character.

I edited the picture I liked in GIMP (as I don't have Photoshop on my work computer). I adjusted the curves, resized, sharpened, and added the border from the previous image. I'm posting the shots at the resolution they are displayed at on the website.

All in all, I'd say it's a positive change. ;-)

old image

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_apage5_2D00_img1.jpg[/img]

new image

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_MG_5F00_3193_5F00_crop2.jpg[/img]

Re: Identity Group Sign web project

Well done! The VP should be very pleased.

the new image is a wolrd different, it's lot nicer and more professional, excellent job Sean

That's a really great improvement Sean! Surely, your VP is very pleased.

Cheers!
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

I smell a promotion.

Great Job, Sean! If your company gives out 2nd quarter bonuses, your timing was right on! Bonus or raise...this should defintely produce a nice new addition to your gear bag!

Denise

This was actually the second thing they've asked me to shoot in a relatively short amount of time. I'm hoping that my success on these shoots will lead to them requesting more work like this (because, really, this is the kind of work I love to do).

Here are the shots from the previous request. They wanted a couple of shots to accompany a magazine article devoted to our lottery specific signs.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_MG_5F00_2816-copy_5F00_small.jpg[/img] [img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_MG_5F00_2805-copy_5F00_small.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_MG_5F00_2932-copy_5F00_small.jpg[/img] [img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_MG_5F00_2914-copy_5F00_small.jpg[/img] [img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_MG_5F00_2930-copy_5F00_small.jpg[/img]

Very nice Sean, it's a real big difference...much much better![Y]

Big, big improvement in the sign shot! The only problem with the new sign is a mostly non-photographic one - the bushes obscure the street number.

Actually, looking at just the new image by itself, that hint of street number (identifiable only because I can see the 'before' picture) is a bit distracting - might be worth cloning that out?