Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratch on lens

Scratch on lens

Have the opportunity to buy quality lens with scratch on glass. What effect will this have on captured images? This is telephoto so which end of spectrum will be most effected?

Re: Scratch on lens

You know - you know the answer better than us, after all, you can take pictures and see the answer.

Anyways, you bought it new... don't even mount it to the camera - SEND IT BACK and get another one that is *actually* new!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

You know - you know the answer better than us, after all, you can take pictures and see the answer.

Anyways, you bought it new... don't even mount it to the camera - SEND IT BACK and get another one that is *actually* new!!!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Oren, I think that he is considering buying this lens.

I wouldn't buy any lenses with scratches on the glass.

You are right, I probably read the post so fast that I missed it - sorry.

I appreciate the input thus far. I am "considering" a lens that has a scratch on the glass. I am still learning before I start investing $1500 - $2000 in "L" lenses. This is a 28-135 IS for a couple of hundred instead of $400. I know when one takes a picture through a windshield or screen the focal is beyond and does not show in the final picture. I want to know what effect the scratch will have? Thanks

I'd avoid a scratched lens. Even though you will be able to 'focus through' the scratch, it will cause increased flare and ghosting, and thus a decrease in image quality (IQ) in some shots.

I would suggest that instead of a damaged lens, especially one that has a variable aperture and just 'ok' image quality, you consider a prime lens with a faster aperture and better IQ - such as the EF 50mm f/1.8 II (cheap build, good IQ), the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, or the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM lenses.

Check this out this article on Lensrentals.com:

Front Element Scratches

For small scratches, the effect is very minor and often imperceptible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim

This is a 28-135 IS for a couple of hundred instead of $400.

Let me change that quote for you: "This is a 28-135 for a couple of hundred instead of $200." They may have a retail price of $400, but no sane individual has paid $400 for that lens since the release of the 40D. The lens has been a kit lens, with a $200 price difference, in kits since 8/07. You could go stand outside any camera store (well, any camera store that has the likelihood of selling a Canon 50D or maybe a few other models in the time you'd like) with a sign that says "will buy your brand new 28-135 kit lens for $200" and you'll get a taker.

There's no way that a scratched 28-135 for $200 is a deal. $75, sure. $125, maybe.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

As the <span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]proud owner of a 28-135 kit lens, I must concur with Peety. It is certainly not terrible, and it has a very useful range, but mine is flawless and I'll gladly sell it to you today for $200. Seriously, if you want it, let me know. I am also sort of compulsive with my gear, and it is as if it hasn't been used. Front and rear caps, too.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1

As the <span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]proud owner of a 28-135 kit lens, I must concur with Peety. It is certainly not terrible, and it has a very useful range, but mine is flawless and I'll gladly sell it to you today for $200. Seriously, if you want it, let me know. I am also sort of compulsive with my gear, and it is as if it hasn't been used. Front and rear caps, too.

I really appreciate the various comments and I did read the excellent piece at LensRental.com. I was unaware that there were ever "IS" lenses used as kit lenses. If yours is in fact 28-135 IS USM lenses I might very well be in the market. Thanks. PS: The one I was considering is long gone. (from B &amp; H)