Thread: Camera Canada Sale on Big Whites

Camera Canada Sale on Big Whites

Hi Everyone...I received an alert on a sale on the 500 f/4 II, 600 f/4 II, and 200-400 f/4 w/1.4tc from Canon Price Watch. CPW listed the sale as $8,199 for the 500 II, $10,299 for the 600 II, and $10,399 for the 200-400. But the deal may be a bit better. Here is the sale page. I believe those prices are in CAD$. If so, the deal is better. I've contacted them to verify. Also, you are supposed to get free shipping and a better price if you mentioned Canon Price Watch.

I don't know anything about camera canada, other than they seem to be one of the major suppliers for Canada. But, these are the best prices I've seen on the the version "II" lenses so I thought I'd mention.

Are you buying one?

I wonder how much the tax will be to get it in to the country.

Looking on the US website camera equipment is one item they can charge duty on. Many others items they do not.
    The only thing I found so far is over $800 or $1000 it applies. One place mentioned 3%.

I do not think NAFTA would apply to Canon equipment since it is made in Japan. It is supposed to be the country of origin and manufacture that it exempts. Then there is always a way around it, that is one reason we see Grey market items.

What about if you drive there and purchase in person?

Their were instructions that you need to check your gear with customs when crossing the boarder so you do not get hit when you come back.
    So maybe buy this
    http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...32-312999093-2
    paint it white with a red ring, check it and get the paper work and just leave it in Canada.
    Or maybe hire a mule to smuggle it in, do they have camera sniffing dogs?

Think I will stick with Adorama

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Are you buying one?

I am considering it. I've wanted one of these lenses for years. But my overall plan was to get by with the 100-400L, its replacement, or some variation until I had built up the rest of my kit and enough money to buy a big white. I didn't realize that the big whites were cheaper in Canada. When combined with the sale and the current exchange rate, this is very tempting. But a lot goes into a purchase like this. I am exchanging emails with Camera Canada to work out the details of how this would work and what the final cost to me would be. And I've been working on how to fund it.

If I get all the information together, I'll probably make a decision tonight or tomorrow.

I know for US to Canada the duties will vary by item. Cameras and lenses are duty free, while filters have a 2 or 2.5% fee. photoprice.ca, the Canadian version of Canon Price Watch, helpfully includes any duties, currency conversion fees, etc giving you accurate to the door prices. Not sure if CPW does the same.

But yes, right now CDN$ gives you a 10% rebate right off the bat.

As for UPS shipping, the basic UPS does not include brokerage, and they'll charge you outrageous fees. The worldwide expedited, and most other options (they have a table buried somewhere on their website) includes brokerage for 5 items... but UPS will also hit you for a fee for paying your taxes for you. I ordered a $100 item from Adorama. After shipping, taxes, and the unexpected UPS charge, it was over $160. If I'd ordered from B&H, it would have been $125 or so... because B&H uses cheaper shipping and will pre-collect taxes (hence no surcharge for having to pay your taxes).

So, yeah, avoid UPS. As for the Canada Post option... I know USPS to Canada Post costs a flat $5 or $8 brokerage fee, + taxes on item. Not sure how it works the other way around. Does Canada get you the same 'out-of-state', tax avoidance?
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Found a duty calculator. It appears that a lens would cost you about 2.3% in duties.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-im...x-calculation/

If anyone is interested, I am being told the following:

• If I want to pay in USD, it must be through PayPal
    • If I pay in CAD it can be with a Visa (or other CC) or through PayPal
    • Shipments would be USPS
    • The prices they list are the final cost to me. No additional taxes or duties.
    • Their financing plan is not offered to those of us from the USA. But "Bill Me Later" through PayPal can be used.
    • Exchange fees typically range from 0% to 2.5%. Lucky me, my CC (Chase) is 3%.
    • Apparently some banks, even when used through PayPal, charge a variety of fees. I was warned to be careful if paying in this way.
    • Their return policy is 7 days and the lens has to be in "mint" condition. So less than I am used to with B&H, Amazon and Adorama.

Given JRWs observation that this is only $400 off their regular price and that this may be the start of something, my sense of urgency has waned a bit. I'll still look this over tonight. Even if I don't pull the trigger now, Camera Canada could be a good way to get a big white in the future.