Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost Wrecked....

Almost Wrecked....

So this morning while getting ready for work I decided to take my 40D with 85 1.2 attachedalong with me for the short ride (about 3 miles). I randomly do this every so often just in case the sun is shineing right on the countryside, with the early morning fog still lingering....well this morning it wasnt, and the sun ehh wasnt doing anything spectacular.

But about a half mile from work across the small river was a Bald Eagle! Now forthose that get to see them dive into dumpsters like fly's on stink this may not seem like anything spectacular but for me it was. In a 100 mile radius of my house I know of 6 Bald Eagles, and have heard of there being acouple more, but none the less slaming on my breaks was the only thing I thought to do.

So I shot into a driveway that was luckly right beside me, ripped the 85 1.2 off the camera and threw on the longest lens I have! Which unfortunately on the wildlife end of things its a meager 70-200 2.8 IS. I did get the shot, and will display it for all to see after some post processing this evening, but in no way will it compare with Nate, Joel Eade, or Fast Glass. But it just goes to show that you never know what is going to happen, and always be prepared.

Thanks

Joel

Disclamer: No lens was hurt in the making of that picture. []

Re: Almost Wrecked....

Looking forward to see your shot Joel. This exactly why I hate leaving the house without various focal lengths : )

Joël

Yeah Ive been keeping my lenses handy recently, today in the car was the 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS, and the 85 1.2. unfortunately I dont have anything longer for wildlife, but cant justify spending more money on a lens that wouldnt be used as often as the ones I have now.

Thanks

Joel

Here are 3 shots. from this morning. From the time I took the first to the last was less then 10 seconds, so I wasnt able to change settings on the camera, basically just pulled out and shot. Their not the best in the world but Im just happy I got to see it in the first place.

Thanks

Joel

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x400/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.61/_5F00_MG_5F00_7370.jpg[/img][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x400/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.61/_5F00_MG_5F00_7373.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/400x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.61/_5F00_MG_5F00_7375.jpg[/img]

Well done.
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Joel,

I am right there with you, buddy. I ride around with my 40D/28-135 combo and a Nikon D100/Sigma 400mm f5.6 all the time. The Sigma is long but lacks IS and focuses very slowly so I use it almost exclusively in manual focus mode.

I see fantastic sunsets on the way to work, with amazingly complex cloud formations and lighting, all the time, but since I am driving over a bay, I haven't had the stones to stop and put on my blinkers for ashot yet. I swear one dayI'm gonna do it! I just hope I don't get arrested.

I love spotting Bald Eagles here in Virginia. Saw one the other morning on the way to work. I've got my camera gear with me but they're always flying high. Hard to get decent shots, especially at 65mph.....LOL

Live view on my G10 works great for those "hard to get" shot Chuck, never tried it with an animal though. Here in PA it seems like when I see them the camera isnt around, I have worse luck with black bears, Ive been within 20-30 yards of them and only once had a camera.

Thanks

Joel

Dude,

My wife and I were up on Skyline drive last weekend and saw three black bears. I just went over to my wifes computer to bring up the raws in Silkypix. Dang, tree and shrub limbs reek havock on autofocus. Having a camerahandydoesn't always mean you'll get keepers. I was driving, she was shooting out the window. Oh well. The covered bridge shots were nice. LOL

hehe The only real shot I have ever gotten of a black bear was about 15 miles off of Skyline on the Blue Ridge Parkway! The bear stopped just in time for me to jump out of the truck and snap acouple off. Idid seea black bear while looking for Elk this year but it was about a half mile away and a 70-200 with a 2x just doesnt quite cut it.

Thanks

Joel